muzzle breaks

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by angus-5024, Apr 25, 2009.

1. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

I want to put a brake on my rem XCR (.338rum). I dont want to spend a bunch on a nice break to put on my factory barrel (pearls to swine). I like the baffle design and flush mount. my smith has radial breaks but nothing else. is there a cheaper (not crap) break out there that will look good on a sporting rifle?
    thanks,

jordan

2. BountyHunter

BountyHunter Writers Guild

Holland QD and Radial brake are very good.

If you do not mind holes all around, then you cannot beat the Harrels brake for $35. Go to BR central and look on home page for Harrels.

BH

3. dirtball

dirtball Well-Known Member

While you are looking take a look at SSG (308Nate) He makes some VERY NICE brakes, you can buy them from him or send him your barreled action and have him install.
    Dave

Straight Shot Gunsmithing

4. NFG

NFG Member

I've used 5 of Harrall's brakes...I like the "swirley"design...plus made several of my own design. Excellent price...need to be fitted by a smith or someone with a lathe, then polished and shaped...they are a bit rough...they work great.:D

FWIW Varmint Al, Varmint Al's Shooting Page, has a couple of nice recoil calculating programs.lightbulb

5. NesikaChad

NesikaChad Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

6. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

JP Enterprise makes 2 styles of baffle brakes. Their original recoil eliminator and a Bennie Cooley Tactical. Both are under $100. I've made custom radial brakes which are stream lined with the barrel contour and just put the holes on the top and sides. A full radial brake will blow dirt all over when shooting prone.

7. JEREMY logan

JEREMY logan Guest

I priced one from shawn @ defensive edge for $80.00.

8. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

Shawn brake diameters are all way to big for staight style mounting on my barrel (7/16). otherwise one would probably already be in the mail.