Muzzle Break...Radial Baffle or APS painkiller??

fisherman983

ive made the decision to put a break on my 300 weatherby mag...i live here in oregon, about 3 hrs from hollands shop and i'd like some input from the guys here that have used them. i want one that is removable and very effective. im not partial either, just looking for the best bang for my money

The Pain Killer is very good at reducing recoil, not sure if any are better. The radial type brake will throw crap all over you if you shoot it prone. Go with the APS.

Steve

I have a Holland QD on a 338 RUM and a massive Painkiller on a 375 AM. Both are affective for the rifle they are used with. The 375 AM has way less recoil than the 338 RUM but is about 7 pounds heavier.

I can spot prone shots with either from 100 yds on out.

The Painkiller is sexier.:D

The comments about the radial throwing stuff are off base, he obviously is thinking radial means holes in the bottom or all the way around.

It does not have holes in the bottom and throws no more stuff than the DE and Painkiller. I have shot the Holland radial from the prone a lot and no issues with debris.

The Holland radial, DE and Painkiller seem to be the top three.

BH

The comments about the radial throwing stuff are off base, he obviously is thinking radial means holes in the bottom or all the way around.

It does not have holes in the bottom and throws no more stuff than the DE and Painkiller. I have shot the Holland radial from the prone a lot and no issues with debris.

The Holland radial, DE and Painkiller seem to be the top three.

BH

I stand corrected, thank you. I was thinking vias.

On that note I would say that which ever is easier to get a hold of.

Steve

If you get an appointment, Darrell will put it on while you wait. I have a couple of Holland's brakes (QD and Radial) and they work very nice. They will turn your 300Wby into a popgun. Very effective. I'm putting that style brake on everything from here on out.

I have Holand's QD on my 7/300 Wby and love it. If he will really put it on while you wait, that would be great. I would give anything to sit and pick his brain in his shop for awhile.

I have no experience with the PK, but have only heard good things about it.

Colby

Before we started fitting our own I had Darrell install several while I waited. I would have loved to pick his brain too but that is not happening. If you attemp to step towards the perceived shop area you will be invited to wait off the property. Customers are usually contained to their rig in his parking area. If it's raining you might be invited to the carport for a second while you pay. Best bring a good book or plan on taking a 2 hour nap in your rig. There won't be much chattin going on. If you want to talk to him the best bet would be to sign up for a class. Once in awhile if the planets are aligned just right he might sit a minute with you on the porch and talk about hunting or rifle build ideas. Sometimes he just disappears and you deal with his wife. She is very knowledgable as well. As much as shipping rifles cost it is still worth the trip.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.