muzzle break question

upacreek

I recently shot a 300 win mag with a custom break. I think 11 degree back angle. Recoil was low but noise to the shooter was very high. The gunsmith doing my current build will install his break, but I hear from other customers of his they work great and have an 11 degree forward angle. Same as the crown. Before I talk to my gunsmith I want any input possible. So what works? What doesn't? All I want is light and recoil reduction.

No idea what kind of muzzle brake you're having installed but all muzzle brakes are "loud" and must wear ear protection with or without. There are lots of effective muzzle brake designs out there with varying effectiveness. Site sponsors have very effective muzzle brake designs.

If you do a custom search (top right corner), you'll see plenty of results to include a poll.

I use a Holland's QD and a custom made similar to the QD except with 4 ports on my .300 Win Mags and both have felt recoil similar to .243s.

Check out Elk Meadow Performance. Recently installed on of their lightweight titanium brakes on my 300 WM. Its one of the better brakes I have used. Its very light and efficient.

Thanks for the heads up Grayfox, The Titanium Brakes have been a good product for me and my Long Range projects.
The 3/4" have worked perfectly all the way up to 300 RUM's and the 1" has worked to tame even the 338's we have all come to know, all without adding much more than an ounce to the end of the barrel.

Thanks again for your comments.

Upacreek, the Titanium brake that Greyfox mentioned works amazingly well!! The 1" version is only 1.2 oz before boring it to caliber. The 3/4" version weighs in at .85oz and works very well. I was doing a break-in on a custom, light weight, ( 7.25 lbs without scope ) rifle in 300 RUM last week that was equipped with the 3/4" Ti. brake. When I break in a rifle I always leave the scope off and just shoot from the hip which reduces the felt recoil a bunch for a decrepit old fart like me. I've done hundreds of break-ins with many different types of brakes installed and the first thing that jumped out at me was that the trigger guard wasn't beating the crap out of my middle finger. With most of the other brands of brakes, my middle finger took a beating from the guard if the gun was a magnum. These brakes get things stopped very quick!!! ---- RHB

I have 2 of Steve's Breaks. 1 on my 300 RUM and one on my 338 RUM. These breaks are wonderful to say the least. Very efficient and crazy light. Worth every penny. The best part....no holes on the bottom so your not cleaning the dirt out of your teeth :D

Found this thread through the search at the top. Currently having a 338 RUM built with a Hart 27 inch #4 contour barrel. Ø.650" at the muzzle. The 3/4" Elk Meadow Ti brakes look like a great option for their lighter weight.

Are there small holes on top of the brake in addition to the large side ports?

The two brakes I'm considering right now are the Ti Elk Meadow 3/4" diameter brake, or the CSR .885" diameter brake.

I know this is an old thread, but if anybody could pass along thoughts on either brake I would really appreciate it.

Yes the Titanium has 3 holes on top to keep the muzzle jump under control.
I have put a number of the 3/4 on 338 Edges and 338 RUM and they cut the recoil way back.

I keep them in stock just let me know when your ready.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.