Muzzle Brakes

gedsar

Whats the best one for a 7mm SAUM and any tips on getting them indexed spot on, or does it matter if they arnt exactly level?.

any tips on getting them indexed spot on, or does it matter if they arnt exactly level?.
The best tip for getting them indexed correctly is to use a smith that knows what he's doing, and cares about his work.

This was discussed recently in a thread and the general concensus is that it won't hurt anything if it's off slightly, and it will still work. To me, if it was not done right, I'd question the smith's work on anything else and his concern for the quality of his work and what he sends out the door to his customers.

If it was me, I'd use a baffle style brake. I believe they provide the best possible recoil reduction. Beware of any brake that has holes all the way around as it will really become apparent why you don't want this the first time you shoot it prone in the dirt. It will really kick up a dust cloud.;)

ss7mm,
I'm a machinist by trade and have a hobby lathe in my shed but don't do it full time anymore. The smith who is building the gun wants $320 for one fitted. I can get one through defensive edge for $89 delivered, so saving $230 is more to spend on a scope. Just chasing any tips to line it up from guys that do it all the time. Ihave an idea of how I'd do it but wanted to see if there was an easier/better way.

$320 for a fitted brake ?? what the hell does he charge to buleprint and action?

I use Nathan Dagley's V-port brakes and highly recommend them , they work great are installed properly and perfectly and have a very destinctive desgine , all for about half what your smith charges.

here is Nate's site Welcome To My Website

I will second Nathan Dagley's v port 2 of my shooten buddys and i have sent our barrels to him all in 300RUM a huge difference in recoil and the v port on top helps alot with muzzle rise. We didnt notice and change our groups. Good guy too..

$320 for a fitted brake ?? what the hell does he charge to buleprint and action?

I use Nathan Dagley's V-port brakes and highly recommend them , they work great are installed properly and perfectly and have a very destinctive desgine , all for about half what your smith charges.

here is Nate's site Welcome To My Website

This is Australia, land of the huge mark ups :mad: QRW rings for you $55 us $145, Barrel for you guys $300 us $750 it sucks when you see how much stuff is in the states compared to over here, especially with our dollar so close now.

Hey James,
Thanks for that mate, what a coincedence. Nates brake is the one I got quoted for and got sent a pic so tried googleing the name but no hits. Just another example of our mark ups $75 for brake and $65 to fit = $140. Special ozzie price $300US.:eek:

ss7mm,
I'm a machinist by trade and have a hobby lathe in my shed but don't do it full time anymore. The smith who is building the gun wants $320 for one fitted. I can get one through defensive edge for $89 delivered, so saving $230 is more to spend on a scope. Just chasing any tips to line it up from guys that do it all the time. Ihave an idea of how I'd do it but wanted to see if there was an easier/better way.

Get one of Shawns and you will be plenty happy my friend. Take it from me... I own one and it turns my edge into a ***** cat to shoot ! Just make sure you get the right profile to suit because Shawn makes several.

Cheers

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.