Muzzle brakes that don't blow off

grit, that reminds me of Bill Cosby's (before he was anti GUN) "why is there air " album when he said in shop class...."I didn't put the bullet in the furnace ....and quite talking bout my MAMA!!!!!!"
Sorry, you may not have been born back then,,,my bad, but it was famous "..." back in the day. We only had wood working tools so I built a cedar bedroom suit. Your work is impressive!!! Full speed ahead.

Don't know the quote. Must be a little wet behind the ears yet. Cedar bedroom suit? Gonna have to bite my tongue :D. Thanks for the compliment!

I like your shop made micrometer stop BTW. and like me, you wear no safety glasses...lol

You do nice work and I say that from experience. I like assemblies to fit...just so.

I always lead in with the compound as well, except coarse pitches where root depth is sufficient to preclude chatter.

However, I triple charge when customers are in my shop. I've never liked people watching me, they always have too many questions that I don't have the patience to answer. Especially when running the Tig. Takes a lot of concentration at my age to get a nice even stack of dimes.....

Now you've got my interest so I too want to see more.....

I should wear the safety glasses. Can't keep 'em clean. Sometimes they are a must have.

Some things require undivided attention. Lots of times the doors are shut and the phone is ignored. I don't mind folks watching. I like to show and tell. Things take a looong time though.

Thanks for the compliments and interest! I'll do some more threads.

What would you normally charge for a job like this? I can't seem to get your website to work. Nice work!

Nice step by step tutorial.

Speaking of brakes blowing off...A guy showed up at the range with a small brake installed on a 505 Gibbs. First shot the brake disappeared. The threads on the barrel were undamaged. A few weeks later I found the brake in the 110 yd berm and those threads were perfect! We theorized the brake was too small for the volume of air pressure created by the Gibbs. It had to expand then blow off. I never saw the gun owner again so I kept the brake.

What would you normally charge for a job like this? I can't seem to get your website to work. Nice work!

Brakes are $100
Installation is $100
Coating (if required) is $20

I'll see what's wrong with the website. Meanwhile, feel free to call,

Lorenzo 801 735-4829

Wow. Lots of work involved---who would have thunkud.
I'll never bitch again when I get my gunsmiths bill................

Good work and I love to see the photos.

Randy

I have always wondered how brakes were timed, by golly I know now. This stuff intrigues the hell out of me wish i had spare time and $ to build rifles. dreams dreams. great thread really enjoyed it thanks for your time to post

What do you think of the adjustable brake such as comes on the TRG-42 which can be rotated? Would it be less intricate work than a threaded brake because of not having to worry about timing??

Thanks!

The brakes of that design type are a thread and clamp system. Crush washers are another method of timing without moving the shoulder. The trade of is aesthetics. You can't blend brakes timed this way. Some folks like the brake to look like an accessory. I like 'em to like like part of the rifle.

What do you think of the adjustable brake such as comes on the TRG-42 which can be rotated? Would it be less intricate work than a threaded brake because of not having to worry about timing??

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.