Muzzle brakes that don't blow off

Nice job, thank you!

I'm curious (and ignorant), why do you advance the cross slide to finish the thread? I've never had any formal lathe training, just an old toolmaker growling at me when I screwed up and the South Bend book.

Bob

A barrel spinner and a belt sander huh? I wondered how my gunplumbers got an invisable seam on some of my brakes. I lernt sumthing. Good post! Next time you chamber a barrel show us how you do it. Or better yet, I should come down and watch.

Come n' watch :D. You won't be the first. I'll do a chamber job thread.

Last edited:
Nice job, thank you!

I'm curious (and ignorant), why do you advance the cross slide to finish the thread? I've never had any formal lathe training, just an old toolmaker growling at me when I screwed up and the South Bend book.

Bob

Bob, let me clarify. I mis-typed in that post and didn't catch it until it was too late to edit.

I cut most of the threads advancing the compound. This keeps the cutting on mostly one face of the cutter. Any time you cut on two surfaces of a cutter you are more likely to get hum and chatter. I finish the threads advancing the cross slide. This evens up the back face of the threads I have advanced along in steps. The final cuts using both sides of the cutter are very light, again to avoid chatter.

Looking at these types of threads and thinking back to the "metal shop" days in high school yeah don't let it "chatter" heh heh.

Grit thanks for sharing your expertise. I really enjoy this kind of stuff.

Bob, let me clarify. I mis-typed in that post and didn't catch it until it was too late to edit.

I cut most of the threads advancing the compound. This keeps the cutting on mostly one face of the cutter. Any time you cut on two surfaces of a cutter you are more likely to get hum and chatter. I finish the threads advancing the cross slide. This evens up the back face of the threads I have advanced along in steps. The final cuts using both sides of the cutter are very light, again to avoid chatter.

Ahh ! That explains nicely, thanks again!

Bob

Excellent post! I have a rifle on the way to Grit for a re chamber. Maybe he can make it his next post! Think I chose a great guy to do the work!

Cheers,

Stephen

Great explanation. Ill go on my wood lathe and install one myself. I do disagree on Ant-Seize, JB weld is much more secure...

Great explanation. Ill go on my wood lathe and install one myself. I do disagree on Ant-Seize, JB weld is much more secure...

That's funny!

A gunsmiths perspective is a bit different. Tight fitting stainless steel will stick to itself, galling and tearing. Dry threads can ruin themselves. The way these things are fit and torqued on, I worry about being able to get them off, not keeping them on. They don't come loose on accident. If one did loosen , the seam would be instantly visible, and it'd have to nearly fall off before it caused a problem.

I remember high school metal shop. I saw the principal once or twice for building "weapons". They didn't appreciate me switching a centerfold for the safety poster either. :D

That's funny!

A gunsmiths perspective is a bit different. ........................................................................................I remember high school metal shop. I saw the principal once or twice for building "weapons". They didn't appreciate me switching a centerfold for the safety poster either. :D

grit, that reminds me of Bill Cosby's (before he was anti GUN) "why is there air " album when he said in shop class...."I didn't put the bullet in the furnace ....and quite talking bout my MAMA!!!!!!"
Sorry, you may not have been born back then,,,my bad, but it was famous "..." back in the day. We only had wood working tools so I built a cedar bedroom suit. Your work is impressive!!! Full speed ahead.

Glad to hear it was appreciated! I'll do more.

I like your shop made micrometer stop BTW. and like me, you wear no safety glasses...lol

You do nice work and I say that from experience. I like assemblies to fit...just so.

I always lead in with the compound as well, except coarse pitches where root depth is sufficient to preclude chatter.

However, I triple charge when customers are in my shop. I've never liked people watching me, they always have too many questions that I don't have the patience to answer. Especially when running the Tig. Takes a lot of concentration at my age to get a nice even stack of dimes.....

Now you've got my interest so I too want to see more.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.