Muzzle Brakes and Ear Protection

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kcebcj, Feb 23, 2009.

1. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

This is aimed at guys that hike and hunt with a rifle that’s braked. What do you do for ear protection? Where do you carry it and how do you use it? Plugs hanging around your neck or off the back pack? Do you practices with a brake then take it off to hunt? I don’t like brakes as a rule but the new rifle in the works will require one so was wondering how everyone else deals with this important issue. Thanks for your reply in advance.

2. ejones338

ejones338 Well-Known Member

At the bare minimum I always have some of the ear plugs with string that attaches them together. I tie them to the size adjustment on the back of my hat, that way they are hanging readily accessible. I also recommend other forms of hearing protection to be carried in your pack so that if you have the time you can double up.

I shoot larger magnums, and you don't EVER want to shoot one with a brake if you don't have at least ear plugs in.

3. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Jim,

I carry those construction type ear plugs that are on the plastic head band. I carry them even with out a break. If there is time I put them in if I am spotting or shooting. They ride comfortably around your neck. I've seen some that supposedly let you still hear while wearing them and they are not electronic. I have not tried them yet.

Steve

4. bigg_sexy1

bigg_sexy1 Well-Known Member

I also use banded ear plugs, I have not gotten used to wearing them around my neck, so I usually just hook them onto my suspenders, it only takes a second to pop them in. I highly recommend them.

5. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

The only rifles that I have brakes on, are those that I sit and wait. No jump shooting type rifles.

For ear protection, I use the foam rollup type in addition to the electronic muffs. With the muffs turned up and the foam plugs in, I can hear as good as or better than without anything. But when I shoot, I have double protection.

Hope this helps,
    AJ

6. AFISHN

AFISHN Member

That's exactly my MO.
    You only have to forget one time and you can do some real damage to your ears.....I spotted a monster buck at around 850 yds across the valley ;I made the bad decision to put on my ear muffs and not my double protection and I paid for it
    Tom

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009