muzzle brakes again

rdsii64

Not long afer I became an active participant on this forum I brought up the subject of muzzle brakes. Back then I was of the opinion that If you couldn't just hold'em and squeez'em you needed to get another gun.

Then on another forum I got into a discussion where some other things were brought to my attention that i didn't realize. That conversation left thinking that a muzzle brake can be a useful tool for something other than its primary function of reducing recoil.

Since that conversation I have had a muzzle brake from Roedale precision mounted on my .308. When I took it to the range, that experience was much more than I exptected. Being able watch the bullet impact, dial a correction, and fire the second round all withough taking your head off the gun(I am shooting a bolt gun) is more than worth the price of a good brake. I can now shoot off a hard concrete bench using a bipod with no muzzle jump . That alone is a blessing when you are trying to get hard dope for your rifle cartridge combination.

We all have our own opinions on brakes and I would never tell another shooter he or she was wrong for choosing not to use one. I for one have been convinced that a good brake is a worth while excessory for my guns.

As a parting shot. shooting something a mild as a .308 my gun is not much louder with a brake than with out one. Wearing double hearing protection (which I wear even when I am shooting my wifes 10/22) I all but couldn't tell the difference. Shooting large magnum calibers your milage may very in the decible department

in closing if its safe and gives you more control, its a worth while piece of kit. Just don't knock'em till you try one.

Thanks for sharing.
All of us continue to learn (and even change our mind from time to time) if we keep an open mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts