Muzzle brake

lamiglas

The gun I am getting built will have a muzzle brake on it. I will be using this rifle primarily for long range, but will also use it for short range brush hunting while hiking to and from my long range set up spots. In doing this, there will be times that I may have to shoot quickly and would not be able to put on ear protection. Will shooting a 338 edge without ear protection blow an eardrum? does everyone that shoots with a brake, always wear ear protection? Last question: Has anyone used a dummy brake (not sure if there is a name for it) for this time of hunting. I was thinking of getting a threaded dummy brake for brush hunting( which would only be close range) and then as part of the set up process for a long range hunting, I could screw on the actual brake. I will talk to Shawn about this soon, but until I have a chance to do that, what are your thoughts?

Thanks alot for your help

there will be times that I may have to shoot quickly and would not be able to put on ear protection.

I would seriously look at the 'new' electronic versions of ear plugs - they cost more, but for this situation would be perfect.

Will shooting a 338 edge without ear protection blow an eardrum? does everyone that shoots with a brake, always wear ear protection?
Thanks alot for your help

I have a Vais muzzle brake installed on my .308 (they market it to be the "quietest") it is definitely much 'tamer' for the shooter! Just don't be along side it when it goes off - as you will find out the report is rather different from the shooter position behind the rifle. Personally, I wouldn't even consider using that caliber without ear protection - mate, your ears will thank you for it in 20 years time.:)

I have a pair of proears electronic muffs. I can see how they would work great for long range hunting. with that being said, last weekend i tried to wear them while I was on a push, head down a long draw. after just a short time, I had to take them off as it just wasnt working for me. anyway, I will shorten my question, Is there any reason not to have a brake that is removable?

banr99.gif

I have installed a bunch of these and it seems to fill your request. Personally I shoot nothing without hearing protection. However I do understand there are times like in a bear encounter its best to keep both hands on your gun.

Neal

I have used one of the on-off breaks and have not found them to affect accuracy but did find a small point of aim shift.
I have hunted with some big breaks like JP and I try to put plugs in but will shoot if I have to without. Im with Inukshuk in that if you do not have any cover or are not directly next to something it is not that different than without a break.

PS I noticed your name Lamiglas. Im actualy their rod designer;). Were are you from?

Yes, theory is you will change point of impact. When I have used this brake on very heavier hitters like the 416 or 378 Weatherby I do most of my bench shooting with the baffle open. Then I close it and sight it in for where I want it. Document where the POI is for each setting and away I go.

Then I realized that I wore muffs anyway regardless and just leave the brake open. For years now I have been a handgun hunter with basicly the same heavy calibers and one must have a good brake and have it operational at all times. Never crossed my mind of what would happen if I shot my 35 newton or 416 handgun without hearing protection.

Neal

I have shawns DE brake on my 300 ultra. I just made my first LR kill with it a couple weeks ago. 585 yards on a mule deer. I was very calm for the shot (no buck fever) so I thought for sure I was gonna have some ringing in the ears after I shot. But nothing. I heard the shot and felt some recoil but that was it. my spotter who was sitting right next to me didnt even complain. I wouldnt worry about the noise issue. you could make a "thread protector" in place of you break but I figure why risk the change in point of impact. you will probably only shoot once or twice anyways. my money is you wont hear much of the gun. And definately get one of shawns brakes. THEY WORK AWESOME. literally 243 like recoil.

good luck.

Thanks alot for your responses. I havent had a chance to talk with shawn yet so i am not sure if it is even an option with him. I was glad to hear that one shot wont blow my ear drum. dont get me wrong, I really do try and wear ear protection every time I shoot, but in the last few years i can think of a couple of times that i had to just shoot. Anyway, I live in Rathdrum Idaho and we do alot of sturgeon fishing from shore, just across the border in washington. At the time i joined i had just gotten back a couple of Lamiglas sturgeon rods so i used the name as a handle. I have 2 13'6" 4m's, 2 13'10" 5f's and one 15' 5f. I love them all!!!

I have ear plugs that are on a plastic hoop that I just drape around the back of my neck, when I set up for a shot they only take a second to pop in, and are very effective. wont leave home without them.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.