Muzzle brake instal questions!

bigngreen

OK, my first install came out good but left me with a few questions that need some answering! The first one is what kind of crown is best to use with a brake?

I'm going to make a cap to go with the next one so the brake can be removed during hunting. What do you guys make the thread protector out of?
Thanks for the help!!

OK, my first install came out good but left me with a few questions that need some answering! The first one is what kind of crown is best to use with a brake?

I'm going to make a cap to go with the next one so the brake can be removed during hunting. What do you guys make the thread protector out of?
Thanks for the help!!

The type of crown Is basically what ever you like. Some just face it off square. some use a 11o
and others use whatever they like.

The location of the crown to the first port sometimes will determine the type (The idea is to have
the gasses clear the brake body and exit in the first port or chamber cleanly.

I normally thread the barrel to be flush with the back chamber and then place a 11o crown on
the barrel, The right angled will work just as good but I just like the looks of it.

For the exit end of the brake the same thing applies The crown for the brake is your choice.

I also use barrel drops to make the thread protectors.

J E CUSTOM

I cut the barel face flat 90 degrees and then put a 60 degree chamfer. Basically just to protect the crown to bore junction from rod damage.

I also do a 90 degree flat crown for muzzle brake. I chamfer the bore at 30 degrees though. As long as it's done concentric to the bore the crown doesn't matter. As far as thread protectors I've made them from scrap barrels but mostly if I have to make one I have a bar of 1" dia.416 steel for stainless and 1" dia. 4140 for chrome moly.

The crown on your muzzle under the braks is critical. It should be consistant 11degree, 90 etc. The bullet has no contact with the muzzle brake. The clearance should be uniform and the exit hole edge should be sharp.

Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.