Muzzel brake cleaning

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wildcat, Aug 20, 2005.

1. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

Need help! What does everybody use to clean their muzzel brakes. Thanks, Wildcat.

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Please don't take this wrong. I have had a muzzle brake for only < 100 rounds.

Why worry about how clean it is? Are you talking about the bore or the ports?

3. wildcat

I have heared that people use brake fluid and carborator cleaner to clean the brakes. I was just trying to find out if there is any type of fluid that would be best for cleaning. Thanks, Wildcat.

4. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

wildcat,
    I use a spray carb/brake cleaner, which ever is available at time. I watch for sales at local auto supply and buy 2/3 at time. I clean them outside!

5. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I keep a bottle of Shooter Choice on the side and only use it to soak the brake in. Normally, I leave the brake submerged in the fluid for an hour or so. I have a Vais brake and it is a royal pain in the butt to clean.

6. wildcat

Thanks for the advice guys. Wildcat

7. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

just cleaned my answer brake after about 1K 308 rds...didnt really need it, but i was seeing blue in the holes from copper vapor, so i figured it was time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wipe out, then rinse with water, then ballistol, then drain and wipe.

will be using an ultrasonic from now on, if harbor freight ever gets tham off backorder!!

JB