Muscle Brake question

The four port is a little much for the application but I have on a 270 WSM barrel that I put on just for kicks and practice, it almost does not recoil with it but it is over kill, also have a four port on a 338 RUM and it's so tame it's weird. NO muzzle blast at all and the noise is not near as bad as some brakes and it's directed out, zero concussion at the shooter or spotter.

A three port or even a mini would be nice, I have 270 WSM's with both. I like brakes so much for recoil reduction and even more important spotting shots and allowing me to focus on the shot more than hanging on, I've started hunting with ear muff at the ready or on and I rock on!!!

Yes I was serious about the hearing loss. I have a 300 RUM with a VAIS brake. I also have tinnitus from my youth. I worked around all sorts of noisy equipment in the 60s when we knew nothing about noise causing hearing issues. It didn't take me long to realize that moist toilet paper was about as good as we could get, better than cotton anyway.

I figured I was safe from any issues when using that VAIS brake on the 300 RUM at the range with good plugs and muffs. After a brief session of maybe 10 rounds I'd went home and noticed my ringing in the ears was amplified quite a bit. What caused it? That brake, I never had that amplification after a range session with unbraked rifles. Maybe having tinnitus where louder than normal noises set it to ringing louder isn't a sign or hearing loss potential. In my opinion that type of symptom tells me the noise level WAS too loud would cause hearing loss. I am certain that everyone these days realizes hearing loss is a progressive thing.

As I said before my opinion.

Yes I was serious about the hearing loss. I have a 300 RUM with a VAIS brake. I also have tinnitus from my youth. I worked around all sorts of noisy equipment in the 60s when we knew nothing about noise causing hearing issues. It didn't take me long to realize that moist toilet paper was about as good as we could get, better than cotton anyway.

I figured I was safe from any issues when using that VAIS brake on the 300 RUM at the range with good plugs and muffs. After a brief session of maybe 10 rounds I'd went home and noticed my ringing in the ears was amplified quite a bit. What caused it? That brake, I never had that amplification after a range session with unbraked rifles. Maybe having tinnitus where louder than normal noises set it to ringing louder isn't a sign or hearing loss potential. In my opinion that type of symptom tells me the noise level WAS too loud would cause hearing loss. I am certain that everyone these days realizes hearing loss is a progressive thing.

I enjoy brakes on all my guns, even 223. But, you raise some good points.

Hearing loss is an important subject. It is progressive and additive.

Even an unbraked 22Mag without hearing protection is a bad thing.

Hence, one should always endeavor to wear protection. If your rifle with or without a brake is too loud, then invest in better protection, don't use a brake, get a smaller caliber, or get a suppressor.

-- richard

My first experience with brakes was a Vias and it rang my bell and I swore I've never touch a braked rifle again till I tried the Muscle brake now all of my rifle wear one!! I've shot my rifle with the brake on and of and there was very little difference at the shooter in sound, to the side it's significantly more. One should not shoot any rifle without hearing protection, I'm trying to preserve what I have left. Between running D7's and air guns in a shop I've gotta watch it or I'll be reading lips when I'm old!

Until I got to the end of this thread I thought the OP typing muscle instead of muzzle was a typo. Finally got the message that it is the name of a particular brake!

Just read about it. Interesting concept with the first port. Bet it works at reducing recoil and blast with its larger diameter and specialized ports. Didn't see any mention by manufacturer regarding noise.....

I understand completely the tinnitis issue. My ears ring constantly. They have since I was young. I was told at age 12 I have significant hearing loss. Is it from sound? Hereditary? Who knows. Both grandfathers and my dad can't hear it thunder. Maybe bad genes, who can tell. I don't doubt that shooting anything without protection is bad. Even a short barreled .22 LR pistol is too much for me. I wear plugs every time I shoot, except for when I hunt.

My plan is if I put a brake on the gun to use it for target shooting. When hunting season rolls around I could just take the brake off to make it a little less damaging.

I didn't mean any disrespect when I asked if you were serious. I just can't conceive that any gun could be loud enough to harm the shooter's ears if proper protection was worn.

I would venture a guess and say that most of the guys on here have brakes on their long range rigs.

guys just a few updates on what is going on with the Muscle brake, this page will give you cartrige descriptions/applications for the different sizes.

Center Shot Rifles - Products / Sales - Muzzle Brakes

The biggest problem I run into is guys with factory sporters and they end up with a barrel to small in dia. to fit the 5/8x24 tpi thread tennon, of the standard 3 port muscle brake.

2 choices, if the gun is a 30 cal of 300 wsm capacity or less the mini still works awsome on those sizes and smaller. (9/16 x 24 tpi) I have minis on my 308 and 7rsaum and they work great, I put one on a tikka T3 300 wsm and shot it, worked great. 338 don't even bother with the mini.

2nd option use one of the CSR brakes very simple common design but thread tennons to fit smaller barrels as you can see on the info page. recoil reduction on par with the muscle.

I have never said the Muscle brake is more effective at reducing recoil, But I do make the claim that it is the most user friendly and pleasant brake to shoot. And I have gotten enough feedback to say that it reduces recoil better than a Vias or a
JP. Read my testimonials for feedback.

NOW the NEW info/design. I have been working with Benchmark barrels as they have the conections to deliver the brake to Canada and Austrailia. They are the only other manf. licensed to Manf. the Muscle brakes to my specs on both materials and design.

What they have done is taken the 3 port slabbed brake and made it indexable by the user, they added a slot and a socket head capscrew into the design so a pre-existing barrel threaded 5/8x24 can have the brake screwed on and locked down, level, reaming or boring the brake for clearance is still needed. And may be a service they offer before shipping. You can call Chris at BenchMark Barrels for details.
I have one and will post up a pic tommorow.

On the sound output, I hesitate to make any claim, I have used a decible reader, and done some testing of braked and unbraked rifles. I recomend ear protection regaurdless of what you are shooting. I will only say this, In the past I have shot braked rifles forgetting to put plugs in. (even the muscle brake as you can see in the first shot on the youtube video.) If I ever do it again I hope it is with a Muscle brake.

You guys that use my brakes, I do thank You.

guys just a few updates on what is going on with the Muscle brake, this page will give you cartrige descriptions/applications for the different sizes.

The biggest problem I run into is guys with factory sporters and they end up with a barrel to small in dia. to fit the 5/8x24 tpi thread tennon, of the standard 3 port muscle brake.

2 choices, if the gun is a 30 cal of 300 wsm capacity or less the mini still works awsome on those sizes and smaller. (9/16 x 24 tpi) I have minis on my 308 and 7rsaum and they work great, I put one on a tikka T3 300 wsm and shot it, worked great. 338 don't even bother with the mini.

2nd option use one of the CSR brakes very simple common design but thread tennons to fit smaller barrels as you can see on the info page. recoil reduction on par with the muscle.

I have never said the Muscle brake is more effective at reducing recoil, But I do make the claim that it is the most user friendly and pleasant brake to shoot. And I have gotten enough feedback to say that it reduces recoil better than a Vias or a

NOW the NEW info/design. I have been working with Benchmark barrels as they have the conections to deliver the brake to Canada and Austrailia. They are the only other manf. licensed to Manf. the Muscle brakes to my specs on both materials and design.

What they have done is taken the 3 port slabbed brake and made it indexable by the user, they added a slot and a socket head capscrew into the design so a pre-existing barrel threaded 5/8x24 can have the brake screwed on and locked down, level, reaming or boring the brake for clearance is still needed. And may be a service they offer before shipping. You can call Chris at BenchMark Barrels for details.

On the sound output, I hesitate to make any claim, I have used a decible reader, and done some testing of braked and unbraked rifles. I recomend ear protection regaurdless of what you are shooting. I will only say this, In the past I have shot braked rifles forgetting to put plugs in. (even the muscle brake as you can see in the first shot on the youtube video.) If I ever do it again I hope it is with a Muscle brake.

If I get an ER shaw barrel pre threaded can I send it to you to have it installed?

You would need to fit the barrel to the action, and mark top dead center, if you were just sending in the barrel that or leave the action on, with properly set headspace.
So that I could index it properly.
Currently due to work demands I will not be taking in brake jobs until may 1st, sorry but too many rifle builds scedualed for the winter.

I put a mini on a 16" savage striker. using it with a rifle scope. I can see near full scope and it will not hit me, and there is no pressure back at you even with the muzzle so close to you. great product will get getting more for sure

Thanks Jim for chiming in. I have heard nothing but good things from your brakes. I especially like the idea of no blast delivered to the shooter. I have a varmint contour McGowan barrel on my 7RM, so it doesn't sound like the threading/sizing should be an issue. My plan, at this point, is to have a brake, stock/bedding, and recoil lug placed all at one time. No need in taking things apart a dozen times.
Thanks again.
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts