Mule Deer Colorado unit 62

Super R

I am going to hunt mule deer in unit #62 during muzzleloader season. I had thought we would hunt in the northern end of the Uncompahgre National forest. Any information would be helpful. Is there alot of ATV usage in this area? We had planned to hunt on foot.

Last edited:
Most of my hunting has been in the mid/southern portion of the unit. I have bowhunted before during the black powder season around 12 years ago. It wasn't completely overrun but there were a fair amount of people. There are quite a few roads and trails, I would use your vehicle to get as close as you can to a spot that looks good on the map then hoof it from there. That may be a quarter mile, it might be a couple miles.

there are enough roads that I would pick up a good map or take a long hard look at google earth and find some places where you can hike without going to the same place people can just drive. otherwise you will spend all day hiking just to hear some guy ripping down a trail on his atv

however, there are some good quit areas in the middle to northern part of unit 62

Thanks for the info, that's what I needed to know. I have purchased a good topo map of the northern half of the area. I figured we would drive some of the roads and hike back in to find a good area to glass from. What is the terrain like, from the map it looks like their is several drainages. Is their lots of trees or more open with brush.

Up around the top of the plateau along the main road it is mostly aspen and evergreens interspersed. That is around 9000 feet. Once you drop down to around 8000 feet it is more oak brush with pockets of aspens.

I've hunted 62 every year sense 1985. I went from over the counter to buying LO tag. Know it very well. Don't know this site at all. Joined to answer your question. Tell me how we can hook up and I will give you the info you need. Be sure to have a map the covers areas from Dominguez to Love Mesa and Gunnison River to Divide Road.

Sounds like a great hunt I was gonna head out there this fall for some elk. But the recent gun regs in that state decided to cancel and join the boycott. I hope you have good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.