Mule deer 2014

Cramer1

My brother and I are wanting to try a drop camp style mulke deer hunt in 2014, We were thinking about Idaho. Having a hard time finding an outfitter, seems its either guided or stay in town and day hunt. Anybody have any advice?

I did a drop camp in Montana if that is an option for you. We went in with the Absaroka Beartooth Outfitters out of Big Timber Montana. Cameron is the owner and a really good guy. Beautiful country and a hunt of a lifetime. I know your post said Idaho, but if you are open to a change of venue that is an option for you. Here are some pics from our hunt. I also shot a small mulie, just a little fork horned buck. Good luck. It was an affordable way to get into the back country and we had a great time.

are you wanting to be guided or do it yourself. there are a couple good late season hunts that either horseback in 20 miles or fly into remote air strips. a few budies and I are going to fly in and hunt next year. the hunt takes place in the Frank Church Wilderness. I do believe one of the outfitters that runs that area is Mile High Outfitters. you catch the deer during their migration to their wintering range.

What's in the hanging bag? Is that an attractant for the elk of some sort?

Beautiful country and an awesome specimen!

What caliber is the camo cannon?

The hanging bag was our food, we kept it up there to keep the bears and other critters out of it, it was mostly just freeze dried stuff (mountain house meals, etc...) but we were in the middle of Griz country and didn't want to take any chances.

It is some of the most beautiful country in the world, amazing experience!

The desert camo beast is my Barrett model 99 50 BMG, we had it set up in a secondary camp at 9000 feet overlooking a burn area....didn't use it, ended up shooting my elk with the 30/06 at 300 yards up on top around 10,000ft elevation, Our main camp was about 8200 feet, so we definitely put on some miles/climbing on that trip!

You pack ear muffs on a hunt?Did you know its illegal to hunt in MT with electronics on your rifle?

I do when I bring the Barrett, I don't know if youve ever been around a 50 BMG when it goes bang, but it will clear your sinuses! :):D

You pack ear muffs on a hunt?Did you know its illegal to hunt in MT with electronics on your rifle?

No sir, you are incorrect, the only mention of electronics on a weapon is for bows, Night vision equipment is not legal and it is not legal to project a beam of light from your rifle, but this is a BORS system it simply takes the place of your top turret and rather than dialing MOA or MIL's on your scope, you range your target and dial the top turret until the yardage is displayed on the heads up display above the eye piece on your scope. It compensates for barometric pressure, temperature and the angle of the shot.

I don't run it anymore as I found it to be fairly accurate out to about 800 yards, but beyond that I had to "add yardage" to my actual range to the target to connect, so I figured if I had to keep track of that I may as well be getting dope in MOA and logging it in my book. I think if a guy was better at manipulating ballistic programs that you could play with the b.c of the bullet you entered, muzzle velocity, etc. and get a more accurate result, but I become easily frustrated with such bull ****. Good luck this fall!

No sir, you are incorrect, the only mention of electronics on a weapon is for bows, Night vision equipment is not legal and it is not legal to project a beam of light from your rifle, but this is a BORS system it simply takes the place of your top turret and rather than dialing MOA or MIL's on your scope, you range your target and dial the top turret until the yardage is displayed on the heads up display above the eye piece on your scope. It compensates for barometric pressure, temperature and the angle of the shot.

I don't run it anymore as I found it to be fairly accurate out to about 800 yards, but beyond that I had to "add yardage" to my actual range to the target to connect, so I figured if I had to keep track of that I may as well be getting dope in MOA and logging it in my book. I think if a guy was better at manipulating ballistic programs that you could play with the b.c of the bullet you entered, muzzle velocity, etc. and get a more accurate result, but I become easily frustrated with such bull ****. Good luck this fall!

Thanks for clearing that up Hognuts. I was pretty sure I just read the same thing as you and only read where it said light gathering or NV devices and electronics on bows was illegal.

My brother and I are wanting to try a drop camp style mulke deer hunt in 2014, We were thinking about Idaho. Having a hard time finding an outfitter, seems its either guided or stay in town and day hunt. Anybody have any advice?

You can give Deadwood Outfitters a call. They offer a variety of hunts in Idaho.
The Carter's are salt of the earth, good folks.
Tell em' TJ Ewing said hi. I rode for the TVCC rodeo team with their daughter Erin.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.