MT Bear Questions

mparsons360

Hey Gents...

I had a couple questions for Montana hunters (but I welcome all advice from hunters from everywhere)... I got my Black Bear Tags and am waiting for season but before it starts i wanna make sure I'm good to go...

Question 1. I use a .308 remington 700 for just about everything.... Will this work for Bear (first season bear hunting).

Question 2. Field cleaning a bear? where do I start...?

Question 3. IF I get a bear who can put the son of a gun into a rug shape?

Thanks for the advice/answers in advance. Happy Hunting and God Bless America!

Rifle is just fine. Gut like a deer, I overcut hide on deer,just straight slit on bear. I work w/local taxidermist in my area,2 I like. You need to skin proper or have it done by someone who knows. Hide needs to be salted or kept cold, bears are prone to slipping. I skin mine in field usually and leave skull and paws in,until at camp or home, then cape. In MT you have to go to F&G and get bear tagged.Proof of sex and skull, in 5 days

your .308 is fine. just dont push it too far, distance wise.

As sp6x6 stated, make sure you cape it right cool it asap. I would talk to a local taxidermist for a recommended proceedure.

word of advice, if its a big bear try to drop it near vehicle access (if you keep the meat, great pepperoni).

We have to keep the jaw propped open, I use a stick and do it within a few minutes of the kill, or it can be difficult and impossible if frozen.

We have to keep the jaw propped open, I use a stick and do it within a few minutes of the kill, or it can be difficult and impossible if frozen.

That reminds me... I saw a bear skull peering at me in the freezer the other day looking for some steaks, been in there a few years

Never underestimate a 308. It will be fine. Black bears don't need alot of killing. As far as skinning goes I could give you some good advice. Rather chat on the phone though. If you would like to talk, let me know. I have skinned alot of bears for myself and several friends.
Kirk

Your .308 will work fine for the black bear, they're not a hard animal to put down, as with anything, it's shot placement.
As for making a rug, any reputable taxidermist should be able to take care of that. Depends on what part of the state you are in, there are some good ones around Bozeman, Helena, and Missoula.
As for field dressing, I am making an assumption that you would do it just as if you were dressing a trophy deer or elk, and only cut the belly up to the ribs, and work from there, but I am not sure.

You better hurry though, season opens Sunday!! Good Luck!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.