MRX Bullets

.338Fan

Has anyone read about the new MRX bullets from Barnes yet? They look pretty intresting to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Be very patient, they will be a while before anyone sees them on the shelves. Talked to Randy yesterday about them - they are going to be loaded by Federal next year.

I was informed by Barnes that we will see them in March. I can't wait until then. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone have a ballpark idea how much these might go for?

X bullets are already spendy, and the steps necessary to make these bullets don't sound cheap.

On the other hand, if they preform as well as they are preported to, could be worth it for dedicated hunting rigs.

The prices for these will be 21-23 dollars for 20 bullets.
This info came dirrectly from Barnes.
The MRX will initially be offered in
270-130 and 150
7mm - 140 and 160
308 - 150-165 and 180
338-185 and 225

My understanding is that the MRX is basicallty a TXS with a polymer tip and a tungston core in the rear the tip aids in airodymaics and the tungston adds weight without the length norminaly associated with the TXS MRX stands for Maximun Range X

I like the concept of the new MRX bullets but it remains to be seen if there is going to be any great improvment over the standard TSX. I reload the TSX now for practice and hunting those bullets are very accurate and flat *** devastating on anything I shoot with them. They will have to show a significant advantage over the standard TSX if they plan on selling alot of the MRX bullets to handloaders. At least that's what I think. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I agree Totally.The TXS's are extremely accurate out of my guns and terminal performance has been excellent

[ QUOTE ]
....it remains to be seen if there is going to be any great improvment over the standard TSX.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I think the only area where they're guaranteed to be significantly better is in their BC's. But that alone would be a welcome improvement for LRH.

Reading the article on the XP3 reminded me of the question one of the Sierra tech's is fond of asking callers: "At what point in the animal's death did the bullet fail?"

Rick

It sounds like it will be about the same size as a non barnes bullet. I mean in lenght. It does sound interesting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maximum-Range X-Bullets™
http://www.barnesbullets.com/prodmrx_new2006.php
MRX.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
The latest member of the deadly X-Bullet family, the MRX™ features a heavier-than lead tungsten core in its base, along with a Delrin tip. This premium, high-BC hunting bullet is specifically designed to deliver deadly performance at long range.

· Deadly Long-Range Accuracy

· High Ballistic Coefficient

· Flatter Trajectory

· Greater Energy at Long Range

· Complete Penetration

· Double-Diameter Expansion

· Razor-Sharp Cutting Edges

· Full Weight Retention

· Completely Lead-Free

· Available in 20-Bullet Packs

New for 2006, Barnes' super-premium, Maximum-Range X-Bullet™ is designed for hunters who demand 100-percent reliable performance and one-shot kills at extended distances. The boattail MRX™ bullet combines the best features and deadly killing power of Barnes' copper Triple-Shock™ X-Bullet with a new Delrin™ tip and a tungsten core.

The denser-than-lead tungsten core moves the MRX bullet's center of gravity rearward, producing optimum ballistic performance, maximum penetration and the same exceptional accuracy Triple-Shock Bullets are famous for. A heavy tungsten core surrounded by a controlled-expanding all-copper body means game-dropping performance no lead-core bullet can match. Unlike soft lead cores that fragment or squeeze out under pressure, the tough MRX tungsten core retains its shape on impact, maintaining bullet integrity.

Adding a streamlined Delrin tip gives this premium bullet a higher ballistic coefficient (BC), allowing the MRX bullet to deliver flatter trajectory and greater retained energy at long range. Unlike some plastic-tipped bullets, the Delrin-tipped MRX won't fragment on impact or blow up on game. The MRX bullet provides controlled expansion at both short and long range. The nose of the bullet peels back into four razor-sharp copper petals that resist shearing off. The new bullet typically retains 100 percent of its original weight and delivers the deep-penetrating, bone-smashing power needed for raking shots at large game.

Like the all-copper Barnes-X and Triple-Shock X-Bullets, the new Maximum-Range X-Bullet contains no lead to contaminate venison. The MRX is the X-Bullet to choose when you need to make difficult shots at extreme distances. It's a super-premium bullet that delivers dependable long-range kills.

Available in Federal Premium Vital-Shok ammunition.

[/ QUOTE ]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.