Moving from Win brass to Norma, Lapua or Nosler

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Alan Griffith, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Alan Griffith

Alan Griffith Well-Known Member

I've used Win brass for years. Plan on trying either Norma, Lapua or Nosler brass. I'm not so much worried about quality with the 3; it's the volume I'm concerned about. The Nosler web site they are heavier than Win/Rem. The Nosler tech rep today said they were on par with Win. I'm looking to keep volume near the same so I can keep my loads as identical as possible. So what I'm asking is which of the 3 has the same volume in 30-06 as Win?

Big Al

2. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

None of them do! I have loaded up to 77 gr RL 22 in RP 300 WM cases with 190 gr SMKs and got 3037 fps as my max (extractor marks with flat primers). When I used Nosler brass, I topped out at 74.5 gr with 3039 fps (flat primers). I am shooting, currently, 73.5 gr RL 22 with the 190 SMKs and getting 2920s fps. I would have to go with 2 or more grains of powder to get that with the RP brass.

3. James Jones

James Jones Well-Known Member

from the little bit of Nosler Brass I have delt with it seems to be Winchester brass that has been sorted , it feel and wroks the same.

For the 30-06 I would use Lapua hands down , it'll out last the other you mention 3 to 1 its the most uniform and its pretty damn reasonably priced.
    With whom ever's brass you change to your going to have to change your loads , hell even if you get another lot of brass from the same you may have big differances.
    its not a big deal , just a grain this way or that and you should be right their.
    but the Lapua is well worth any aditional load testing you'll have to do

4. Brent-AR-30-338

Brent-AR-30-338 Well-Known Member

I agree with JDJones,
    Lapua is the only way to go if one wants to upgrade brass. You will have to work up a new load with any brass, but with lapua it will be more accurate, and last longer. Heck just do a ladder test, and in 30 or 40 rds your done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

5. Alan Griffith

I ordered 100 Lapua cases from Midway this am. On sale for $54.99 but dang that $10+ for shipping. Oh Well!

Thanks for everybody's help!

6. Utah Shotgunner

Utah Shotgunner Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I ordered 100 Lapua cases from Midway this am. On sale for $54.99 but dang that $10+ for shipping. Oh Well!

Thanks for everybody's help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Alan,

I seem to follow you from website to website. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When you get started on your new loads with the Lapua brass give me a call. I have a bunch of components that will work for your '06 that I am not using anymore. If you can't put together a load you like with what you have, you are welcome to whatever I have.

I am going in a different direction for today and loading up some blackpowder shotshells for a shoot I am attending next month. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Alan Griffith

Yo! "Utah Shotgunner"! Thanks for the offer. Might be up your way (Lagoon) on Saturday. I say might. Depends upon teenage hormones. I'd rather be shooting.
    /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    Big Al