Mounted my rings backwards?

pwrdbycotn

I bought a set of Ken Farrell standard height rings for my new Mark 4 to go on a 6.5x47L and while I paid attention to make sure I kept the tops of the rings with the correct bottoms, I failed to notice that there was a front and rear ring. Now I have the ring marked "F" on the rear and the ring marked "R" on the front. Is it a big deal? I didn't even notice it until I was putting the gun back in my truck after sighting in. Anyone else do stupid crap like this?

After reading this post, I went and checked my ken farrel mounted scope. Wouldnt you know, I did the same thing. Not sure if it makes a difference, this scope is on my 338-300 ultra now and I've shot several rounds thru it, and it was on a 7mm rem mag previous with no issues.

I have several sets of Farrel's. Mine are on correctly. I think the reason they are marked F and R is because each set (upper and lower) is manufactured together and so marked to maintain an close fit. If you have not yet shot the rifle in, I would move them around.

I have several sets of Farrel's. Mine are on correctly. I think the reason they are marked F and R is because each set (upper and lower) is manufactured together and so marked to maintain an close fit. If you have not yet shot the rifle in, I would move them around.
I kept the correct pair together, just put the front set on the rear and the rear set on the front.

I kept mine toegther also as they are a matched set. Haven't heard anything back from farrell, but I was wondering who is to say what is the front and rear. Is the front of the scope the eye piece or the objective ?

I kept mine toegther also as they are a matched set. Haven't heard anything back from farrell, but I was wondering who is to say what is the front and rear. Is the front of the scope the eye piece or the objective ?
That's a pretty good question as to the front or rear. I don't know exactly but I would assume (and we all know what that does) that the objective is the front as it faces the front of gun. I don't really know what this would hurt because it is the base that is canted 20MOA and not the rings. For instance, My Leupold Mark 4 rings that I have a Sightron S3 mounted in do not indicate front or back and I also have a set of Nightforce ultralight rings and they also do not indicate which ring should be where. Maybe I'm just thinking too much about it?

I just received my email response from Farrell. They stated it does not matter as long as the rings are kept together as we all have done. So there is no wrong or right way to install the rings as far as front or rear, unless you switch the bases and tops around.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts