Mountain Lions Kill 2 Radio-Collared Wolves in Montana

Non predatory game animals may be down in the area, I don't know, but predators competing with one another is the most natural condition imaginable and not an indication of anything.
Competing yes, but hunting each other... not so much. Most predators will avoid each other at all costs, as they run a much higher risk of injury hunting something that kills for a living too. A meal that bites back isn't worth it, unless theirs nothing else to eat.

Wow! Not a big fan of cougars; went to the U of Idaho, WSU (the cougars), is a close neighbor/rival. However I'd like to see a cat kill a wolf.

Unfortunately, I'd still have to see it in person to believe it. We used to run hounds, and three good sized, experienced hounds will kill a cat. On the flip side, a good friend of mine who guides cats/bears in Idaho has lost three dogs now to the wolves.

If a hound can kill a cat, and a wolf can kill a hound...it would take a big old tom and a young inexperienced wolf to turn out that way. Dogs chase cats for a reason.

The Discovery Channel(?) has/had a show that pits different types of animals, weapons, fighters against each other in theoretical situations. In bear vs. tiger the bear won. Would be interesting to see cougar and wolf matched up "semi-scientifically".
Great thread, btw.

The Fish and Wildlife Service has been on a mission to down play the extermination of all our Big Game Species since the reintroduction of the Wolves. They would do or say anything to try and change the hatred people have for the Wolf. We had record high Elk numbers and record high Lion numbers for the 10-15 years prior to Wolf reintroduction. The Fish and Game wanted everyone to take 2 Elk in allot of districts. Now you can't even shoot a cow with a bow. The study that claims the Lions are killing the Wolves are from the same so called Biologist that state that the Lions are killing all the collared Elk in the Bitterroot. I believe the Lions might be the ones killing the elk but the wolves are running the Cats off the kill and instead of the lion eating on the carcass for a week they have to hunt right away to eat or starve. They never state this in any of their studies. It was a sad sad day for Hunting and all our Big Game Species when the first Wolf was turned loose. When you have radical Bunny Huggers dictating Wildlife policies this is what you get. No 20 year Enviromental Impact Studies done. No public vote just use the Endangered Species act to wipe out our Game populations so there is nothing left to hunt. jmo...... dgarrett

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts