mountain brown bears

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by mp214parks, Nov 14, 2008.

1. mp214parks

mp214parks Member

Mainly, I like to hunt sheep. But every year I see a grizzly, usually on the next ridge, 300 or 400 yards away. I have a 300 rum. Is it resonable to take a shot at one at this distance. I am in no danger from one since usually there is a large valley between us. I just want a good kill. Also any load suggestions for this.

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008

3. rtv900

rtv900 Well-Known Member

You will have no problem killing a bear at that distance with a 300RUM. No problem at all.

That was a great bear story.

4. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

A 300 RUM should easily be able to make a 300-400 shot on a griz with good shot placement. If it was me, I would want a range finder to take out the guess work - wouldn't want a wounded bear.

I think if you check some threads you'll find some good loads.

a 200 AB pushed by about 95 gr Retumbo seems to be popular for about 3200 fps. Of course start a little lite and work up.

5. phorwath

phorwath Well-Known Member

Your rifle has plenty of energy to kill the bears at that distance. But you'll likely only have one shot to place a lethal hit on the animal. Place your first bullet in the lethal kill zone and you should be good. If the first hit isn't a killing hit, all you'll have is running shots after that until the bear reaches cover or climbs over the mountain.