most reliable big game riflescope?

I just wanted to let you know that I called Leupold today and they said that the erector in my scope was faulty so they replaced it. I do not know what an erector is or how it could fail or how it is attached but hopefully when I get it back the scope will work well for many years to come. Brian.

2nd round of scopes.
I shot it a few times, all was good.
I shot it a few times, dang it a large piece of debris
I put it up and called Scott and left a message...he is a busy man and I must have fell through the cracks, no return call-no biggie, like I said I know he is a busy man. I haven't called back in the last week or so, I too am busy.
I wanted to go shoot and it was gone, awesome-don't bother Scott over nothing.
I took it out again to see if it was there and voila! It's there again. I'll just try to smack it on something to see if it goes away again.
I see that debris and think "You piece of crap!", I just get frustrated easily. I really like it and think it has all the features a scope should have.
But then again I did send my Super Sniper back to be replaced because of debris stuck on my reticle.

Brother,

I am never too busy for customers. I must not have gotten your call, I was "off" over the 4th of July weekend, are we OK now? Please let me know.

As for "tough" scopes for less money, the Elite 4200 is mechanically as rugged and reliable as they come, IMHO.

Scott

I seem to be on a quixotic quest for the "right" scope; I can feel your angst.

I tried Leupolds, and the good ones are VERY good. But I really don't like the big turrets you get with a mildot, whether you like it or not, and I don't particularly like the mildots to only be calibrated at the high end.

The Bushnell 4200's are really quite nice, but really long and awkward. But I haven't killed one yet. Not much adjustment range, though, if you're into that.

The Meopta's and Nikon Monarch X's are really nice, and for a long time I thought the Monarch X was the scope to live the rest of my life and rifles with.

Then I tried Schmidt and Bender. Wow. I imagine the first Nightforce or USO you buy is the same feeling, but they aren't FFP -- which I now find indispensible. Incredibly crisp, very precise adjustments (I did the box test and thought I'd failed... it put the fifth bullet through the first hole), and just feels "right". Downsides: hefty weight and price tag.

Bottom line: my vote would be for S&B. I now get the whole "you get what you pay for" thing.

I may have missed something, here so if i am steppin on toes here, please forgive me. I do see that you said the erector was bad.

Doing a little bit of calculation with JBM, and using the data in the first post. I ran a calculation in 25 yd increments, and then changed the atmospheric pressure by 1 to see the change in trajectory.

Between 500 and 525 yards there was 7 inches of drop. changing the pressure to a lower value changed the trajectory flatter (higher impact point) by 2 inches.

I don't want to assume you did not field verify your data, as that information was not included in your post, but could it be that a load developed in a lower altitude with higher pressure, combined with a few yards of range error changed the point of impact?

A line of sight angle of 10 degrees also had about a 1" higher impact at 500 yds.

Again, I don't want to claim there was not a problem with your scope when the factory said that there was, just curious if this could have been a factor as well?

+1 on the SB, PMII line.-

Drawbacks: weight and especially price.
Adv: FFP, reliable adjustments, 1 turn total elevation, great clarity and glass quality, rugged, mil based reticles.

Have heard similar things about USO but have never used one.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.