Most Popular powder for the 300 RUM with 180 grain bullets

300winnie

There is a very similar post referring to 190-210 grain bullets already on the site, but I am getting ready to load up some 180 grain Swift Scirocco's and would like to get a good idea for what is working for 300 RUM shooters. At the moment I have the following on hand - Retumbo, H1000 and RL 25. However, I am not opposed to purchasing something different if need be.

Thanks in advance.

I've had great luck with 180 Siroccos and RL-25. I got a half inch group at 200 with it. Ironically I was not able to get that good of a group at 100. Go figure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I have been trying to hit my 1150 gong with 180g btips and retumbo. Not very consistently, but thats a long ways off for a hunting bullet, and trying to compete with the 10-15 mph wind. Anyways, my load is accurate using 95g retumbo. I shot a 4 inch group with it at 500 yards before I swung over to the 1150 gong. So that made me feel halfway good. velocity is right at 3300fps. I have also had good luck with H-1000 using 96g, but that was with the 180g ctbt's. Velocity was 3330fps, and it grouped just as well as the Retumbo load at 500 yards.

Retumbo is the best I have found for top velocities in the 7mm and 300 RUM. That said, H-1000 and Rl-25 along with Ramshot Magnum also produce very good performance from rifle to rifle. If Retumbo does not perform as youlike, I would look at one of these others first. You will get a good load with one of these powders as long as the rifle is mechanically sound.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.