Mossberg MVP LR 308

Davebearpig

I looked at one of these yesterday in my local gun store, and it looks to be a pretty nice gun. The barrel and bolt were fluted, and it had a nice vertical grip stock on it.

The bolt seemed somewhat skinny to me, but I've never had a fluted barrel.

Does anyone own one of these, or have experience with them? I'm looking into one for something to play around with reloading and shooting out to 300 yards.

I looked at one of these yesterday in my local gun store, and it looks to be a pretty nice gun. The barrel and bolt were fluted, and it had a nice vertical grip stock on it.

The bolt seemed somewhat skinny to me, but I've never had a fluted barrel.

Does anyone own one of these, or have experience with them? I'm looking into one for something to play around with reloading and shooting out to 300 yards.

Ive also seen one of the newer mossbergs in person but it was the Patriot and have to say it was a very nice looking rifle especially at it's price point! The fluted barrel and bolt look great and the stock is not half bad either. Thebig question is how well will they shoot? In my opinion the mossbergs will compete with the Savage and maybe Tikka line-ups more so than the Remington. Savage/Tikka brings their A games when it comes to accuracy out of the box for what you pay. Remington is more refined in their higher end models and more expensive but the lower end Remmy's tend to be a flip of a coin for out of the box accuracy. If these patriots get 1 MOA out of the box they might have a winner on their hands for competing with Savage and Tikka. Just my two cents.

I don't know of anyone that shoots a Mossberg.

Everyone that I have shot with or know that shoots either has a Remington or a Savage.

I'm just trying to decide between a Mossberg MVP LR or a Savage 10FCP. Their prices are fairly close to each other.

I bought a MVP .556 for my wife when they first came out and were all the rage for about 6 months... It is a nice rifle and a 1/2 MOA shooter with 55 gr Varmageddons behind Benchmark in Nosler brass with with GM205M primers.

It has a plastic bedding block in it that holds the action. It works fine in the 556/223. Don't know how well it works in 308.

The stock has a short length of draw and fits the wife perfectly.

I bought a MVP .556 for my wife when they first came out and were all the rage for about 6 months... It is a nice rifle and a 1/2 MOA shooter with 55 gr Varmageddons behind Benchmark in Nosler brass with with GM205M primers.

It has a plastic bedding block in it that holds the action. It works fine in the 556/223. Don't know how well it works in 308.

The stock has a short length of draw and fits the wife perfectly.

I did the same, I bought my Wife the 20" version of the Predator MVP. I boohooed the idea of a Mossberg rifle but she loved the Grey Lam stock and that version is light. Thing is it will group 5 60 Gr. V-Maxes into 3/4", sometimes 1/2".

I bought the 24" BR varminter stock 5.56. I also have a Nikon prostaff 5 scope 4.5-14 power. What a shooter !!!!! I am easily .5 moa or even less with factory cheap hornady ammo. My gun is a keeper.I do not know if I will do any better with handloads. Do not hesitate purchasing one. Can't say how good the shorter barrels will be though.

I bought the 24" BR varminter stock 5.56. I also have a Nikon prostaff 5 scope 4.5-14 power. What a shooter !!!!! I am easily .5 moa or even less with factory cheap hornady ammo. My gun is a keeper.I do not know if I will do any better with handloads. Do not hesitate purchasing one. Can't say how good the shorter barrels will be though.

My setup is nearly identical to the above: MVP Varmint 5.56, Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 SF BDC. It is VERY accurate with handloads. I have shot it in F-Class format club matches out to 500 yards with good results (relative to my skill level), drawing curiosity and favorable comments from experienced shooters using custom rifles. Mossberg cuts the 5.56 chamber with a LOT of freebore, which has allowed me to seat 75 AMAX's far enough out to take full advantage of available case capacity. Fired LC or Winchester cases average 31.1 grains of capacity, with Hornady cases not far behind at 30.9 grains. This puts them very close to capacity numbers I have seen reported for 223 AI chambered rifles. I can launch the AMAX's at 2850 with single digit SD's and maintain very near .25 MOA vertical dispersion out to 500 yards with 8208 XBR. Performance and accuracy is very consistent, despite the 9 twist, which is marginal for the 75 AMAX.

IMO, the MVP's are feature packed rifles that offer excellent value for the dollar. They come from the box with good stocks and triggers. They are also available with threaded barrels for a muzzle brake or suppressor. A good friend of mine has the threaded model and put a Vais muzzle brake on it, allowing him to spot his own hits while PD hunting last fall. Mount a scope, break them in, develop some good handloads for them, and GO! Nothing else is needed until the barrel is shot out. The real downside is the lack of aftermarket pre-fit barrels, which negates some of the advantage of the barrel nut system on the MVP.

In theory, these rifles should also be easily adaptable to a number of popular cartridges, but support from Mossberg and the aftermarket just isn't there. I hope that changes, as these rifles have a lot of untapped potential. A 7 twist pre-fit barrel would allow me to stretch the range to 1000 yards. I have also thought the 5.56 MVP's would make a dandy little combo in 6.5 Grendel (or any of the alternative AR cartridges).

My setup is nearly identical to the above: MVP Varmint 5.56, Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 SF BDC. It is VERY accurate with handloads. I have shot it in F-Class format club matches out to 500 yards with good results (relative to my skill level), drawing curiosity and favorable comments from experienced shooters using custom rifles. Mossberg cuts the 5.56 chamber with a LOT of freebore, which has allowed me to seat 75 AMAX's far enough out to take full advantage of available case capacity. Fired LC or Winchester cases average 31.1 grains of capacity, with Hornady cases not far behind at 30.9 grains. This puts them very close to capacity numbers I have seen reported for 223 AI chambered rifles. I can launch the AMAX's at 2850 with single digit SD's and maintain very near .25 MOA vertical dispersion out to 500 yards with 8208 XBR. Performance and accuracy is very consistent, despite the 9 twist, which is marginal for the 75 AMAX.

IMO, the MVP's are feature packed rifles that offer excellent value for the dollar. They come from the box with good stocks and triggers. They are also available with threaded barrels for a muzzle brake or suppressor. A good friend of mine has the threaded model and put a Vais muzzle brake on it, allowing him to spot his own hits while PD hunting last fall. Mount a scope, break them in, develop some good handloads for them, and GO! Nothing else is needed until the barrel is shot out. The real downside is the lack of aftermarket pre-fit barrels, which negates some of the advantage of the barrel nut system on the MVP.

In theory, these rifles should also be easily adaptable to a number of popular cartridges, but support from Mossberg and the aftermarket just isn't there. I hope that changes, as these rifles have a lot of untapped potential. A 7 twist pre-fit barrel would allow me to stretch the range to 1000 yards. I have also thought the 5.56 MVP's would make a dandy little combo in 6.5 Grendel (or any of the alternative AR cartridges).

Just to add to this. Do not know how the Patriot's stack up to the MVP's but a couple more calibers such as 22/250, 243, may even help stir up some sales for this hidden gem of a rifle. Maybe a heavy bull barrel option.

Just to add to this. Do not know how the Patriot's stack up to the MVP's but a couple more calibers such as 22/250, 243, may even help stir up some sales for this hidden gem of a rifle. Maybe a heavy bull barrel option.

I thought the patriots were excellent for their price. Good trigger, good looks, with fluting and such. Seemed well built but did not get to shoot it to verify accuracy

I own several of the MVP series and absolutely love them. The Predator version does very well with 178gr as a steady diet. The patrol version that I restocked shoots lights out with 168gr and a can, for that matter all of them love 168gr.

I have an MVP-LC in 6.5 Creedmore. The bolt is a little sloppy but it runs fine. Something is a little off-center because I had to use Burris Signature rings with offset inserts to get it on target, but the dang thing shoots. The very first 3 shot group with 143 ELDX's went into .25 and the second went into .45. 140 gr Fusions went .6, so I can't complain. The only thing that doesn't work for me is the trigger. It's defective and should probably be sent back, as it will partially drop the firing pin if you come at the trigger a little sideways. Pull straight back and it works ok.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.