Mosin Nagant 800 Yards with Iron Sights

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Grizzdude, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Grizzdude

Grizzdude Active Member

Hey guys went out the other day with the Mosin Nagant 91/30 doing some shooting 800 yards away at a steel torso target, using the iron sights. Made a short video of the adventure. Hope you all enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmnYV2Z7EGU"]800 Yard Mosin Nagant Shot[/ame]

2. jkupper

jkupper Well-Known Member

Fan-FRICKEN-Tastic!!! That was awesome! Good shooting!

3. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

Is that a stock Mosin, or have you tweaked it? Surplus ammo, or handloads?

4. Grizzdude

Grizzdude Active Member

I've done some trigger work to it and bedded the barrel and action. Also I have a tapered front sight post. I previously had only the barrel bedded with electrical tape but my buddy in school wanted to use my rifle in class to bed it and it looks like he did a good job! The ammo used was Brown Bear 174gr FMJ, my mosin seems to like this ammo.

5. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

That pill (at half speed) reminds me of my 50 cal smokepole at 200 yards. Interesting. I won't be buying one anytime soon. Thats an ugly SOB with uglier ammo.

6. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I agree, Mosin's certainly ain't a beury contest winner...But for a $120 rifle, it seems hard to beat to beat around and experiment with gunsmithing with instead of ruining a new $600 Rem action...

Plus, in a SHTF situation you could use it as a club and never cringe. LOL

7. jdk81

jdk81 Well-Known Member

Nice shooting!

8. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

A 'no cringe' walking stick for serious downhilling. The furniture is on par with a park bench.

I had a couple AK's (that are long gone). Just as fugly and seriously inaccurate.

'Twas good shooting, I admit that, especially with open sights. The platform is, well, lacking.