More than one way to skin a coyote.

I do the same process on the tail as Bigngreen does and it works very well. The best thing I ever did was buy a box of disposable rubber gloves and carry them in the truck whenever I go hunting. Skinning a coyote barehanded and carrying the stench around on your hands for the rest of the day is miserable. The gloves make it a much more pleasant task.

Generally speaking, fur trapping is a hobbyists game. Something to be done because you enjoy it. Getting a fur check at the end of the season is O.K. but listening to some guys talk like they're putting their 5 kids through Harvard on 100 dogs is a joke after you analyze exactly what they have into it. A paper route would pay better. A lot better.

Generally speaking, fur trapping is a hobbyists game. Something to be done because you enjoy it. Getting a fur check at the end of the season is O.K. but listening to some guys talk like they're putting their 5 kids through Harvard on 100 dogs is a joke after you analyze exactly what they have into it. A paper route would pay better. A lot better.

Yes it would, but a paper route is no where near as fun as hunting. I would rather do something I love for cheap, than almost anything I hate for a lot more money.

Money isn't the great motivator for me as it is for most other men. As long as I have enough to do what I want, (Single Male) I'm a happy camper.

I'm not saying that trapping will make you enough to survive, but if I'm shooting it anyways, might as well let my hobby try to break even. Lord knows with what I spend there is no way I'm ever turning a profit haha.

I used to live in SW Mt. in the late70's and used to sell my yotes to Pacific Hide and Fur in Great Falls for$135.00 ea skinned and streched.Man that buyer they had was one smart cookie.I went to California one Christmas and on the way across Nevada,going home saw a yote running alongside the road.My mini 14 made short work of him.Threw him in the back of my truck and off I was.When I got ready to sell my fur I threw him into the mix.When I got to Great Falls I laid them all out.I think I had 125or so.The ole guy told me he would give me $ 135 a piece and$ 60 for the one from Nevada.How did he know the differance???I argued with him a bit,but he never wavered.You tell me.

Randy

Buddy of mine is a trapper here in Alberta. Last year he turned in only one coyote (short season on account of his first kid being born right in the middle of the season) and he was paid $125 for it (skinned and stretched obviously).

SL

I used to live in SW Mt. in the late70's and used to sell my yotes to Pacific Hide and Fur in Great Falls for$135.00 ea skinned and streched.Man that buyer they had was one smart cookie.I went to California one Christmas and on the way across Nevada,going home saw a yote running alongside the road.My mini 14 made short work of him.Threw him in the back of my truck and off I was.When I got ready to sell my fur I threw him into the mix.When I got to Great Falls I laid them all out.I think I had 125or so.The ole guy told me he would give me $ 135 a piece and$ 60 for the one from Nevada.How did he know the differance???I argued with him a bit,but he never wavered.You tell me.

Randy

That was probably Ernie Judkins you were selling to, he'd buy from all over, he'd swing in and buy fur from us when he was coming back from Nevada buying cats, his brother bought out of Bozman also, they were thee fur buyers back in the day!

Coyotes her in NC don't get prime like in the northern parts of the country. NC allows for the sale of live coyotes to the fox pens. Coyotes are just like criminals and the revolving door of justice. Catch them (live), sell them (live), they go to the fox pen, they escape and we catch them, sell them all over again. No skinning involved. Live coyotes are bringing $100.00-$135.00.

Not much market for shot coyotes here. I have spent thousands of dollars on callers, rifles, scopes, camo, leases and coyotes shot are few and far between. If I can catch 25-40 coyotes live it will do two things help my deer and turkey's, and pay for my hunting lease, seed, fertilizer and fuel.

Nat Lambeth

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.