More "shooting" than actual hunting

Well if your not stuck on a 100grn bullet, I would suggest the 105 A-max or 107SMK. Most of the new rifles in 6mm have a tight enough twist to handle them. These 2 bullets with a good healthy dose of H4350 will achieve your objective. Here is an article that will help you out.

243 Win Cartridge Guide within AccurateShooter.com

I think the caliber you want will do all you need. One of the BOTW clips you can find on line shows them dropping a yote at 1100yds with a 243 using a 107SMK.

Tank

none of the NEW factory rifles that i know of have a twist fast enough for a 107 except for the savage 6br in an 8 twist. i have never heard of a factory remington stabalizing a 107. the Botw shot the coyote 1017 yards with a 105 berger out of an 8 twist 243. i have heard some rems will handle the 105 a-max . sully you should be able to find something that will work in your VLS. enjoy.

You're missing the point evidently...
1) I DONT WANT a .260Rem, 6.5 Rem Mag, 264wm, 6.5x284 or 7mm mag.
2) Those calibers ARE NOT AVAILABLE in the model I wish to buy ( VLS)
3) Everything the VLS has to offer I like / or wish to have

4) If they did offer it...and they dont...the alternative caliber(s) Id chose would be a 6.5-06; 25-06 and maybe???( but I really doubt it) a .270 but AGAIN the arent offered in the VLS model.
You're right I am missing that point because that's not what you stated in the posts I've replied to.

Originally Posted by Sully2
No competition at all....no. A "paper puncher" mostly but a LONG RANGE Yote and dog killer for western trips.

Ive got a VLS in 22-250....and a re-stocked SPS in 243...but am looking for something that will "reach out and touch someone"..sort of thing. 600; 700 or maybe even further distance.
I shoot long range with lots of wind on a regular basis because I've spent most of my life in the western US shooting long range in the winds most of my life so I thought it prudent to suggest calibers which should perform better out here.

Sorry for wasting your time by suggesting calibers with better ballistic characteristics for your intended purposes.

none of the NEW factory rifles that i know of have a twist fast enough for a 107 except for the savage 6br in an 8 twist. i have never heard of a factory remington stabalizing a 107. the Botw shot the coyote 1017 yards with a 105 berger out of an 8 twist 243. i have heard some rems will handle the 105 a-max . sully you should be able to find something that will work in your VLS. enjoy.

Man... I screwed the pooch on that info!:D Thanks for the correction. I knew the Savages handle the heavier bullets for the .243. I knew the yardage was pretty far, but thought it a little farther. Oh well, that is why we back each other up here.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.