More eye relief

Varmint Hunter

Are there any variable power scopes that have a consistent 4" (or so) of eye relief throught the power range?

I have a 6.5x20 Leupold mounted on my 700 LSS in 300RUM. It has just touched my eyebrow too many times. I'd rather not take a direct hit. :>) I guess I could always add a good brake but really don't like them on a hunting rifle.

I have a 4.5 x 14 leupold on my 300 win mag it seems to have around 5" on 4.5x and about 3.5 on 14x. I almost always shoot in on 10 power to keep the movement down. I also have a elite 4200 6 x 24. its pretty good up to 12x but at 20-24x its around 2.5". I dont think you'll find long relief with high power.

When working up loads @ 200yds or 300 yds I prefer to use the scope on 20x but the eye relief is only about 3.5" which is what caused a few close calls. If I turn the magnification down to < 12x the eye relief is adequate but I can't see the targets as well.

I was looking to get at least 4" of eye relief at high magnification.

Have you tried just moving the scope farther forward? I have to mount them all far forward on my 300 or I'll get hit--it doesn't seem to matter how much eye relief the scope has.

Funny that you should mention that. Awhile ago I sent the stock out to be shortened up a bit and to have a softer recoil pad put on. When the stock returned I just dropped the barreled action back in without moving the scope forward to accomodate the new stock diminisions. The first shot made me realize the error of my ways. The scope is now properly situated.

U. S. Optics offers a long eye relief eyepiece on some of its 10X (and above) scopes which gives an extra 1 1/2" relief, 4" total. The price is $250.

Eye relief

All leupold scopes have ample eye relief for all but the worst
kicking rifles so I would agree with Jon A about moving the scope
foward.

Set the rifle on sand bags and move the scope as far forward
as you can( caution" if you shoot prone it places your eye closer
to the eye piece) so set it up according to the way you shoot,
and at max power.

The only constant eye relief scope that I know about is the
Leupold LPS at 4" at any power.

On the big bores 375,416,429 and 458's with no brake's this works
for me because it takes the slack out of your neck so your head
doesen't move forward as much.

Good luck and good hunting
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.