More Berger 300 Hybrid Gen 2 testing

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
Got in some fo the LR testing of the gen 2 bullet today. Had to get it in as spring bear season is under way here. I took Canyon Rifle # 0051 and ran the 300 gr bullets at 2864 fps as a standard load .005" off the lands as this is where I had seen the best accuracy at 100 yards.

We started with a 1156 yards shot and used a straight BC of .818 the this took 27.75 moa of elevation and I dialed in 2.25 moa right windage. First shot was dead on for elevation and to the right of center about .50 moa just barely missing the rock I was shooting at. I made a quick correction .50 moa left and shot a 3 shot group on the rock that measured with the NPR1 reticule was just under .5 moa!!! Quite happy with myself we moved out to another rock at 1833 yards. I dialed in 58.75 moa up and 4.00 moa right windage. My first shot was 1.75 moa low and .5 moa right. I corrected both and fired the second shot, this shot just missed the right edge of the .75 moa rock I was shooting at. We really buckeled down on watching the wind and landed the next 2 rounds on the rock. Playing with the wind being what it is at those distances I look mostly at the vertical size of the group in testing. The last 3 shots had easly landed in under 10" at 1833 yards. I am quite happy with these new Gen 2 bullets. I had to set some velocity limits and BC at distance changes to make everything compute correctly and I will test more of this and post it later for everyone to get a good start ballistically with theese bullets. I am looking forward to using them on game in the hopefully near future.

This target shows the performance difference we experienced between the Gen1 bullet center target and the Gen 2 bullet lower right out of the same rifle. Liek I said quite happy with the Gen 2 version.

DSCN0186.jpg

Thanks for the report Shawn and good luck on your bear hunt.

whats up with this white crap still falling from the sky?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks, Shawn, for the continued reports. Hope you get a bear and we can see some real world data from that as well.

No white stuff here...just a tremendous amount of 'liquid sunshine' and cold temps. Someone needs to remind the Almighty that spring is supposed to have arrived by now... :D

I am very interested to see some slow velocity expansion tests. I am thinking the thicker jacket will need a little more go juice than the GEN I's to expand reliably, but hopefully I am wrong.

Shawn,
Really appreciate you sharing info with us! I have been waiting a long time for the Gen 2 bullets to come out. Your info is a confidence builder.

I would really like to hear what BC you settle on and if you have to use multiple BC's for distance. I assume you are still using Exbal? We have been using LB for about a year now but that is no biggie as I have both.

Good luck with the bear hunt and try and get him to "Smile for the flash" :D

Is anyone aware of the Gen 2 Berger 300g jacket thickness compared to the jacket thickness of the 300SMK?

What is the composition (alloy difference, etc.) of the jackets between the two and does that matter? If so, how?

It is my understanding that the Gen bullets have been shot reliably up to 3300 fps. We have not pushed them that far but that is what I hear. As far as jacket thickness goes in the photo below left to right, the Hornady 285 gr, the 300 SMK, and the Berger Gen 2. CLearly the Hornady has the thinest jacket but also the largest cavity. I have seen big cavity bullets have nose collapse on impact and act like a FMJ, not saying that will happen here but I have seen it happen. The berger has a jacket thickness very similar to the SMK. Not sure how this will affect expansion but I have high hopes for the Gen 2 bullet.

BULLETS0003.jpg

Thank you, Shawn. Your work and picture there was helpful. You can really see the shape of the ogives as well in that photo--quite a bit different.

I'm very happy with the 300SMK terminal performance, so I'll be looking forward to reports on the Berger!

Great info my friend.

NOW!!!

I know you have a big stick in the safe, prove to me that these things will shoot at 3300 fps. Coming from your mouth and your 338 AM, I will believe it and order some in, but hearing it from the Berger boys does not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Throttle up that big 338 AM and lets find out what these bullets will really handle. Heavier jacket, thats no problem, just add 400 fps!!!

Would love to test them but I was not asked to test them out of the AMs. I think the Berger boys got tired of me saying they needed a thicker, stronger jacket for their bullets to survive in the 338 AM.

If you have a source for them I would certainly like to test them out and in fact see if they will consistantly handle 3300 fps in and do so in something that is not right off the lathe fresh and in a warm barrel.

Would love to tell my customers that the 300 gr berger Gen II has my full endorsement for my 338 AM but still can not say that.

Anyway, your thoughts on the matter from what your seeing.

Holy smokes...! Kirby lives! I haven't been real regular here lately myself Kirby, but I sure haven't seen you on here much lately. Must be pretty busy at the shop.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.