moosehunter

moosehunter

Anyone know any good home recipe's for a cleaning solution on copper and powder risidue? I'm kind of in the sticks and all we seem to be able to get is Hoppes #9 powder solvent which is no going concern

Moosehunter

Do you have carb cleaner for the car engine?
That works good for the Powder residue.

Do you have ammonia? Pour out 1/2 of the contents of Hoppes #9 in another container. Add 1/4 ammonia to one of the containers of Hoppes.
After using the straight Hoppes and cleaning the rifle, run some dry patches down the barrel.
Now wet a patch with the ammonia mixed Hoppes and run it back and forth in the barrel. Let stand 5 minutes and run another wet patch of the ammonia mixture. You should see a green color on the patch. Keep doing this till the green goes away with a wet patch but, not more then 15 mins total and DO NOT use a brass brush during the use of the ammonia mixture. At the end of 15 Min. run 2 or 3 dry patches in the barrel and then go back to the straight Hoppes and wet the bore real good and then brush several strokes with a bore brush. Dry with 2 or 3 patches and then put a wet oiled patch down the bore to seal the metal from mosture.

That should clean your rifle very well.

Darryl Cassel

Brent

I would have suggested Sweets also, in conjunction with Shooters Choice and or Butches but, I think Moose hunter was asking for some "Home" remedy stuff as to where he is located? Straight ammonia would not be the way to go for him, or anyone for that matter.
Sweets does have other ingredients besides ammonia too.

I gave him some ammonia based copper remover bore cleaner in with the Hoppes #9 which is the basic mixture they use in their copper remover line.

Darryl

Sorry I was reading way too fast and missed his point completely.

Can't say anything for a homebrew, but those Sweets folks sure got it down. Unbelievable.

Good luck.

I gotta tell you fellas that ammonia/Hoppes mixture worked slicker than a magazine holder beside the toilet. I told some buddies about it and one says its pretty good on ice with a shot of Zambucca to. Thanks a heap for that one. The vinager and peroxide mixture got a friends 38-55 shooting straight again after he thought it was going to be nothing more than a fireplace hanger. He is some happy camper.

Hey, Moosehunter have you talked to the guys at Powder Keg in Kamloops? They carry a lot of stuff. Also there is Wholesale Sports and Russell Sports in AB which can supply you with just about anything. Good prices no PST.

I am in Summerland and finding stuff is getting harder and harder. I do a lot of long range shooting. If interested, give me a shout.

If the LEH work out, I might be coming up your way for a Moose. Any regions to suggest?

Good luck...

Jerry

Jerry;
Id heard that the Powder Keg had shut down, maybe wrong. The bi problem here is that E&I sports has been busted so many times with restricted and prohibited stuff that if it has to come over the line the customs and police screw him around as much as they can. Stuff I can get in 10 days with a CC number takes him months. Im just getting into this long range game so lets keep in touch. As far as moose up here, we could hunker over some of my maps and I could sure put you into some productive areas and hell, if my work schedule works out Ill come with you and help you bark one out of the bush. Do you ever get down to Princes in Oriville? If we still have that $400.00 once a year exemption it would be worth the trip.

Moosehunter,
I would be willing to mail you anything you needed, but can't you mail order this stuff? I didn't think the laws were that bad up north.

For a bunch of home brews go to:
http://home.sprynet.com/~frfrog/froghome.htm

and look under "Homemade Cleaners and Lubricants"

I heard this gentleman writes companies and requests some government mandate form that lists all the contents of their products. I think it's some EPA required thing. From that he can replicate the brew. Rumor has it some very popular cleaning goops and lubing goos are VERY common stuff, BIG PROFITS! No wonder there's a new one every month...

Have fun!

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.