Moose calibre?

Well after reading 7 pages and looking at some nice pics best was truck ...I'm heading to newfoundland this fall bringing 35 whelen single shot 200 gr fxt or 250 gr nozler not sure yet guide says shoots are from 50-200 yds ... Can't wait has any one hunted up Thier ..??? Was woundering what terain is like

What kind of single shot in the Whelen do you have? What's your twist and barrel length. I am thinking about converting a k-98 into one?

What outfitter are you using in Newfoundland? I was researching newfoundland.

I'm looking for a cabin facility, with an easy walk in. No horse back or rough terrain. We have 2 elderly gentlemen in our hunting party. So it's kinda hard to find a drive in, or something easy on the knees.

I had a moose tag here ,draw and hard to get.Im a 338 fan shot a large one in 03 with my 340,acted not hit walked about 4 steps laid down,top heart blown off off hand 100 yrd.I looked at 25 bulls,didnt really find what I wanted,passed real good one 8x11 with bow at 28 yrds,but single front.saw many at range,one I got I tracted into thick stuff and after hr of him bedded away from me wind switched and First I got to see from front,miss judged him and shot,338NM offhand 60 yrd,five steps travel.Saw biggest moose off my life later,muley hunting in different district,Shiras

Attachments

• PA220046.jpg
    PA220046.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 216
  • PA290051.jpg
    PA290051.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 224
to elk river,had a bear hunt in 2011(very good) in Newfoundland.terraine varies from flat to hilly but tuckamore(heavy brush like low blueberry) is tough to push. my outfitter was great and guided moose also. saw moose,bear,caribou,grouse,snowshoe hares etc...built .338-06 to return for moose soon?use computer and lookup moose hunts there...

It's a h&r single shot don't know any spec's off hand ... The outfitter is pattey outfitters guides name is Eric seam to be nice said he can cater to just about any need let yea know mid oct how it was

What kinda bear is up Thier & size

Newfoundland has some of the largest black bear their is.They are called "pumpkinheads"as they are very heavy on average.Very healthy population&plentiful.Saw a honest 7ft.bear after I downed mine but muzzleloader was empty!You can harvest 2 bear.But moose wise,I would go back there as camp & meals was fantastic and trout fishin toboot!.

Though this deserved a prop up! If there are two calibers that would cover Moose hunting compleatly without getting into Magnums and long barrels, it would have to be a toss up between a 338/06 or the time tested old 35 Whelen, the Whelen when handloaded with 59grs of RL15 and a 250 Speer right at 2600 from a 24"barrel is basically a .338 in disguise!

I have 3 favorite moose rifles

300 Win Mag with 180gr Swift A Frame
338 Win Mag with 225gr Swift A Frame
338 Rum with 225gr Swift A Frame

We should not forget there have been "thousands" of big moose, killed in the Yukon & Alaska in the last hundred years with the old 30/06 with 200gr or 220 gr Nosler bullets it will flatten any Bull, if you do your part on bullet placement. After guiding for Moose for over 40 years now, it is obvious it's more about bullet placement and construction, then what caliber.
A headshot moose with a .223 is dead alot faster than a gut shot one with a 416 RM.

Out of over 200 moose taken in camp the biggest one was taken with a 25-06 and dropped and I saw one hit with a 375 H&H and tried to walk away.It all has to do with placement