Montana unlimited bighorns

Lefty Hunter

This is a hunt that I have been think about for a little while and would like to try it in the fall of 2012. Has any body on here tried this hunt? What area would you recommend. Are there any books or articles that might help me with this? Any help or suggestions would be very appreciated.

If you are talking about the area on the NE corner of Yellowstone National Park I can give you some input - none of it encouraging. The way it works is MT Game and Fish sell as many tags as people will send them money. There is a quota (say 2 rams - it has varied) and when the quota is met the season closes. It is very difficult to find a legal (3/4 curl) ram in the area. I have a cabin right on the South end of the unit and have horsebacked and hiked the whole area for over 20 years and have seen one legal ram in the fall while elk hunting. The rams hang inside the Park boundary for most of the year. I have a friend that has used my cabin for the last 4 years and although he generally has seen quite a few sheep has not seen a legal ram as of yet. It's a fun hunt but keep in mind you start hunting at 8000 ft and then go up from there so weather is always a key player no matter what time of the year. I have 2 outfitter friends that just cringe when they get a sheep hunter calling - they want the business but they also have to be honest with the client in telling them the odds are very small. Now that we have all the wolves up there - well enough said - I better not get started on that subject.

I know of a couple guys few yrs.back,went in day before,hiking machines and came out opener w/2 rams, met a outfitter on way out. As story goes rams where not 3/4, I think they got a small fine , and lost rams was all. One of the guys went in next year or following and did get a legal ram

I bought that tag about 20 years ago and hunted the area out of Gardner right above Yellowstone. Only sheep I saw were domestic. They were running a band of sheep in the area and everything else left the country. That was before the wolves.
I've heard that the wolves have killed most of the sheep that cross back and forth into the park.

Was in there (hiked in from Gardner) with three others in '79' Didn't think it was all that hard then, but it'd kill me now. Didn't see any sheep, but saw a couple of nice goats which I hadn't expected and not very deep in at that. There were a number of small steams then and of course Hell Roaring Creek where we caught some great trout for dinner. There were some really large bull Elk that we saw, but no sheep. Pack a light rifle if you're going to do a lot of walking as it's all either going uphill or down.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.