Montana Sheep and Moose results are in

Rooster.. you know anything about the unlimited range for sheep down in the absarokas, sp?, how fast do they normally fill the quota in there.. know anyone who guides there?

Which area? There are three close to me with very different odds of success, season length, and difficulty of access.
I spend a lot of time in two of the areas, and most decent outfitters in the areas will be booked for this year.

Didn't realize that..thought it was all one area. which one would you recommend, living there? looks like next year to go, unless allowed to go by yourself, a real DIY hunt. I hunted down in the Independence Mine area some years ago, before it became a wilderness area. Guess the sheep areas are further south from there.. thanks for the info.. need to get as much as I can, so know what I'm doing.

Sorry for the delay, the glory days of sheep hunting are over! It is a waste of time, once n a while a local gets a desent ram, but most are barely legal. I do not know the area numbers but the tom miner area closes before the sheep come out of the park it is like a ten day season. The area east of Yellowstone river kills a few rams. The back country areas north of the park is horse or outfitter country

Thanks for the information. Can't afford to waste money. Might enjoy being in the back country, know i would, but not at hunting prices and having to buy a license and such. My dad and I hunted below the Independence Mine area for Elk and were taken to someplace other than where we were supposed to be (slough creek area). We had a good time, but still got hosed, as packer was supposed to pick us up a Moose permit, this long enough ago, you could get one across the counter. but didn't. Needless to say, we "got a letter" from the DNR about it. Hard to believe it was 55 years ago, Oct. Had to be Oct as turned 18 on that trip, and my BD is in November. We were out there for several weeks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.