Montana Rifle Company products

JKO

Just curious:

Has anyone here dealt with Montana Rifle Company?

I'm a fan of controlled-feed actions, such as the Mauser '98 and pre-1964 Model 70 Winchester, and I was wondering if one of their products would be worth the investment--particularly since they're a good deal less expensive than the Nesika. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

(Let's face it, $1,500--$1,600 for an action (the base "M" model from Nesika, according to their Website) is a bit much; I've seen some completed rifles selling for less than that. According to their Website, MRC actions can be had for between $500 and $600.)

Besides, most modern controlled-feed actions are usually derived from one or the other of the two makes listed above, and target rifles based upon one or the other are still available.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

As always, any information on the subject will be appreciated.

--Thanks,
JKO

JKO ,
There has been some discussion on here about the company ,i did a search and came up w/ nothing as usual.
I could be wrong but i think it was Shawn Carlock that tried to do some rifles on their actions.You'll get some imput from more hands on people soon i'm sure.
From what i've read there might be better options out there.
Are you aware of the stiller actions priced at around $700 ish for repeater and single shots?
Best of luck

JKO,

Run as far and as fast as you can away from them. I tried several I was very hopfull since they offered a lefthanded stainless action. There is just not enough time to list all of the problems with them. I have talked to several other smiths that I value their opinion about them and have yet to find anyone that was even OK with them. It is the same old story if the market of quality blah, blah, blah is offering something for $1000.00 on average and some one comes in with something for half as much you usually get what you pay for. I feel that this is the case here.

Run SEARCH with quotes on it like this "montana action".

This way you don't get all the montana elk hunting threads and all the remington action threads. you will mostly get what you are asking for.

Oh, well...so much for *that* thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks for being honest, everybody.

--JKO

Don't mean to jack the thread, but since it seems the case is now closed.....

Have any of you guys tried the Empire Action?

I have a friend that has one and he loves it , he said that the quality of the work and accuracy is on par with a rifle that David Miller built for him a couple years ago and that one is sweeet.

JKO ,
There has been some discussion on here about the company ,i did a search and came up w/ nothing as usual.
I could be wrong but i think it was Shawn Carlock that tried to do some rifles on their actions.You'll get some imput from more hands on people soon i'm sure.
From what i've read there might be better options out there.
Are you aware of the stiller actions priced at around $700 ish for repeater and single shots?
Best of luck

RUN RUN RUN is the best thing you can do if you are thinking of getting a MRC! I had one custom built in a left hand 22-250. Had nothing but trouble with it! I wish I would have done more research on them before I got sucked in. I was promised a 3 month delivery & 8 months after I was reading my credit card statement only to see a $1400.00 debit from MRC! It was only then I knew the rifle was done, no call or nothing to let me know it was done & that was just the beginning of my problems with MRC. All the same issues as everyone else are there, bullet feeding issues, terrible inaccuracy, extreme hard bolt closing, thus marring the cartridge bases, even on factory unfired shells! Ive never been so disappointed in a supposed custom rifle company? Especially after dropping $2,800.00!gun)After contacting the owner about my issues I got the same response as everyone else. Just added insult to injury!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.