Montana Muleys

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Quarterbore, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Quarterbore

Quarterbore Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I shot this fat pig on the run, he was headed for the hills and wasn't stopping. i had to quickly guess him at about 300 yds when i pulled the trigger, so when he turned and started running straight away i held over using my 1st mil dot (which is 300yds for my 155 Amax's) my first shot connected and put him down. The bullet entered the left ham, broke the femur bone and part of the bullet continued on and ended up resting near the heart. i later ranged the shot at 320yds, not long range by any means but still a hell of moving shot considering he was with about ten other bucks and it all happened in less than 20 seconds.

My step-brother ended up getting the muley i was after and had seen the day before but i never could find him opening morning. it was 26" wide and very nice too, the stalk was perfect and it was close enough he could have shot it with a bow.
    [​IMG]

mine grossed 164 and his 169

2. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

A couple of fine looking bucks I might say!!

Congrats on a good shot and a nice buck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. sewwhat89

sewwhat89 Well-Known Member

Those boys are a little larger than the ones we grow here in East TX. What did the buck in the first pic weight? 300+?

Fine trophys!

Stephen

4. Bud Meadows

Bud Meadows Well-Known Member

A couple of real TOADS!! What part of the state did you hunt? I leave in about two weeks for a Montana muley hunt, and I can't wait. By the way, I shoot a .308 WIN myself.

5. Quarterbore

I would guess close to 300lbs live weight. South east part of the State is where we were at.

6. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Two very nice bucks! Good job guys.
    What rifles and optics did you use?

7. Quarterbore

I used my tricked out Savage .308 Tactical gun with a Mark 4 4.5-14x40 Leupold on top.

He just recently bought a Howa w/ thumbhole stock in 300WSM and Bushnell Elite 3200 ( Gun is OK but trigger has gotta go, supposed to be adjustable but it is not very user friendly, seems like when got it adjusted to the right amount of pull the safety would not engage or the bolt would fall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif)

8. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Good gun and good scope.

I was just looking in the Midway USA catalog the other day and noticed someone is making a replacement trigger for Howa's now. Darned if I could remember the company and I left my catalog at work. It is probably on their website under <u>triggers</u> or Howa.

9. duckinalaska

duckinalaska Well-Known Member

308win,
    Those are some big bruisers that you guys have taken. Good on ya and good shots.
    Congrats,
    Brandon

10. Jimm

Jimm Writers Guild

Thanks for the great pix,.....congrats on youalls sucess !

Jim