Montana Gunsmiths

Discussion in 'West' started by rafterdude, Apr 15, 2010.

1. rafterdude

rafterdude Member

Looking for a Reputable smith in Mt. Anyone have any insight?
    Thanks in advance!

2. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

Best one in Montana, and anywhere for that matter, is Kirby Allen of APS in Fort Shaw.

If you want to contact him just email kballen@3rivers.net

3. zkodiak

zkodiak Well-Known Member

I did alot of looking for someone to build me a custom rifle and i just sent my check to him this week. Everything i found on him was nothing but good. In his emails he was nothing but honest and helpfull. Which is nice to have and hard to find these days.

4. jmden

jmden Well-Known Member

+1 and AMEN. Very refreshing these days...

5. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

Where are you at in Montana?

6. rafterdude

rafterdude Member

Thanks guys, I will give him a shout! I am in Billings so its not to far to Great Falls area.

7. ss7mm

ss7mm Writers Guild

I live in central Washington and I've driven over there to give him a gun and talk to him. It's just a nice drive through some beautiful country.:)

8. cowboy

cowboy Well-Known Member

I have had 2 rifles built by Bull Mountain Rifle right here in Blgs. He is a stand up guy with no BS. He's located just west of Yellowstone Golf Course off Rimrock Rd. If you want to see his work or any further details just PM me - be hsppy to help in any way I can.

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Another option to consider is Joe Starnes (LongShot Rifles) in Conrad and Dave Young (Young's Gunsmithing) in Tracy. If you contact Jeff (BROZ) he can give you more insight, both had built awesome rigs for him.

By Dave Young ... http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/my-new-300-win-build-55269/

I believe Joe Starnes built him a .338 LM before he moved in MT but cannot find the thread (for now ...).

Good luck.

Ed

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  10. OneAndDone

OneAndDone Member

Pete Forthofer in Whitefish. Great guy, lots of knowledge, excellent and quick work, and honest as the day is long.

11. montana_native

montana_native Well-Known Member

Joe Starnes built a 243 AI for me that is amazing. Gentry Custom in Belgrade has built me nice stuff too. Dave Young is working on a 30-06 AI for me now as well and seems like a heck of a guy.

Spread the wealth I guess. I'd use Kirby Allen but I am too impatient to wait that long for a gun.

12. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

what is it you need done, or built ?

13. rafterdude

rafterdude Member

Thanks guys for all of the help. Having Bull Mountain Rifles in Billings do the upgrades for me. Funny thing is I didnt now he existed and he is only a couple of miles from me. Good shooting to all, Craig

14. usmcMT

usmcMT Member

There are no "GOOD" smith's in the Billings area period. I've seen and had done work by the " good "ones. Not anymore.