Montana Deer Season Question ???

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by FEENIX, Sep 24, 2010.

1. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

I responded to a thread posted at different site. This guy apparently shot his second doe with a shotgun. However, I am not familiar with the season (Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks :: 2010 Season Dates) he is referring to below.

Any thoughts?

Ed

2. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Some of the river bottoms have extended shotgun, handgun, and bow seasons. I did not look in the regs, but the Bitteroot comes to mind. I think you can shoot 5 does on top of your A tag.

Steve

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

In all of the areas around me, he'd be in trouble! There are several wepons restriction areas and it's bow only for bow season and shotgun and pistol and muzzle loader during general. But there may be some weirdness in an other region.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  4. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Looked in the regs. It is area 260. The river bottom in the Bitteroot. Along with some adjacent areas. There is so many deer there that they will wind up dieing of a plague. Too much private land in the bottom that do not allow hunting.

Steve

5. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

That's exactly what I thought too. Anyways, I talked to my local FWP and they too had reservations on interpretation. They admitted to the regs ambiguity and should have been much clearer. Having said that, I didn't feel too bad not knowing it.

I'm very clear on the weapons restrictions, as in during rifle season but not during archery, except for the handicapped and special needs issue. Apparently, for most districts, during archery season, it clearly states archery season only and for the hunting districts with weapons restrictions, i.e., HD 309, it does not say archery season only even though they fall on the same time frame.

You learn something everyday.

Ed

6. Fiftydriver

Fiftydriver <strong>Official LRH Sponsor</strong>

There is a small shotgun/muzzle loader area just west of me. You can use any legal tag issued in Montana in this area but there are no special tags released for use in this area only.

You can get the following tags here in Montana, at least in my area:

Deer A tag
    Deer B tag Whitetail doe tag
    UP to 7 additional whitetail doe tags
    Special permit for mule deer doe
    Special permit for mule deer buck (specific units only)

Now, I believe if you draw the special mule deer buck tag, you can hunt anywhere in Montana with your A tag but if you kill a buck, that voids your special mule deer permit as well.

If you kill a mule deer in the special unit you draw the permit for, you are done hunting for bucks in Montana as it cancels out your A tag. That is how I understand it.

They change this crap every year so who knows whats right, hell, half the time the game wardens have no idea of all the regulations, or at least you as 10 of them and you will get 10 different OPINIONS from wardens!! Thats the scary part.