Montana Deer and Elk Hunting

hapycapy: You should take that 7 grand you spend every year and get your mouth sewed shut. Or buy a lifetime supply of soap to wash your mouth out with. This is exactly the lack of disrespect I was talking about. Hunting isn't about how much money have and money is exactly what is ruining it.

I think the main issue here is slob hunters. I've been hunting out West, mainly WY since 1993 and I have to say; as others have said, that there are good and bad apples whether they are resident or nonresident. This fall myself and a few buddies hunted in WY. One area we usually hunt had been over run with lazy hunters who were riding their ATV's all over creation. These hunters/riders were both residents and non-residents and seemed to believe they had discovered the best way to slip up on the deer. Another incident involved a buddy who was sitting beside a tree on a hill and had a resident hunter shoulder his rifle and look at him through his scope to see what he was...my buddy took his orange hat and waved it at him and he lowered his rifle. Then we had an outfitter who thought he basically had full hunting rights to the BLM land that joined the private property he had leased. Land that we had been hunting long before he rode in on his high horse.

And on the issue of public land ie: US Forest Service, BLM, etc.. this is land that belongs to every US citizen. We all have just as much right to hunt as the other guy, regardless the state in which we reside. Part of the Federal Tax dollars we all pay go to such places, therefore we all have a steak in Federal Lands. However, the guy who gets to an area first, deserves to have the respect of other hunters, by them not hunting on top of him. A little respect goes a long way.

One of the biggest problems today is lack of respect and ethics. It's a problem in our society as a whole. I try my best to respect other hunters, landowners, and obey all game laws. And hope I get the same respect in return.

Now a person that thinks that paying $6000 or $7000 for a hunt entitles them to behave badly whille hunting is part of the problem. I hope that is not what I read but it sure sounded like it. Maybe you might cool down enough to write a post that might actually make some sense. But then again if you have enough money you can tell everyone else to get Fu*&(&* and do what you want.

I didnt say that my $ intitles me to behave badly, I was trying to make a point that not all out of staters are not unethical slobs and pigs like some of you people are making us out to be. Read my post and it said " respect your state your wildlife and its residents"!![/quote]

It's holier than thou, arrogant, self righteous attitudes like your's that tend to reinforce anit-out-of-state hunter sentiment. So you're a big spender, I'm impressed. Thanks for your devoted service in supporting Montana's economy.

hapycapy: You should take that 7 grand you spend every year and get your mouth sewed shut. Or buy a lifetime supply of soap to wash your mouth out with. This is exactly the lack of disrespect I was talking about. Hunting isn't about how much money have and money is exactly what is ruining it.

Excuse me sir I think it was you people disrespecting all out of state hunters that set me off in the first place.PLEASE read my original post I said " I RESPECT YOUR STATE YOUR WILDLIFE AND ITS RESIDENTS!!!" But you people put all out of state hunters in the same catagory and that is unfair. I deal with the same thing with out of state hunters coming to Ohio to hunt our whitetail, on state land not Ferderal land by the way, but we have ohio idiots just as you have your local idiots.

And thank you to jimbo for understanding where I am coming from.

Hapy has been added to the arrogant out of state hunter list(AKA ignore list),I wish our F&G had one to weed out the pinheads and allow the true hunters to come in,I have no problem with their state of residence,its the attitude they bring with them.Over the last 5 years I have had several runins with these out of state guides and their "clients",these idiots think they own the public land they are allowed to hunt and Im sure some of the guides are telling their "clients" they do after being asked by a few if I had permission to hunt the national forest I was on.The game warden in that area is so tired of dealing with hunter harassment by these morons that he isnt enjoying the job any more.

I think the main issue here is slob hunters. I've been hunting out West, mainly WY since 1993 and I have to say; as others have said, that there are good and bad apples whether they are resident or nonresident. This fall myself and a few buddies hunted in WY. One area we usually hunt had been over run with lazy hunters who were riding their ATV's all over creation. These hunters/riders were both residents and non-residents and seemed to believe they had discovered the best way to slip up on the deer. Another incident involved a buddy who was sitting beside a tree on a hill and had a resident hunter shoulder his rifle and look at him through his scope to see what he was...my buddy took his orange hat and waved it at him and he lowered his rifle. Then we had an outfitter who thought he basically had full hunting rights to the BLM land that joined the private property he had leased. Land that we had been hunting long before he rode in on his high horse.

And on the issue of public land ie: US Forest Service, BLM, etc.. this is land that belongs to every US citizen. We all have just as much right to hunt as the other guy, regardless the state in which we reside. Part of the Federal Tax dollars we all pay go to such places, therefore we all have a steak in Federal Lands. However, the guy who gets to an area first, deserves to have the respect of other hunters, by them not hunting on top of him. A little respect goes a long way.

One of the biggest problems today is lack of respect and ethics. It's a problem in our society as a whole. I try my best to respect other hunters, landowners, and obey all game laws. And hope I get the same respect in return.

Well said I agree 100%

Hapy: Read my original post. I stated that I had hunted with several educated well spoken and respectful out of state hunters. I also stated that the ratio of good/bad out of staters was getting bad. I didn't say any chicken **** loud mouth disrespective crap like you did.

In my main business I have many friends that reside in Montana and have been fortunate to visit many of the ranches these people own and/or manage. Without any exceptions they complain about people from the nearest city in Montana. This and the sheer number of people that converge on the neighboring public land are the common theme. From my observations, the complaints in Montana are no different than any other state.

Something like 1% of Nebraska is public land with leasing becoming very common so all you western state residents should feel blessed to have the access you have.

I have a question for the residents of mont. and idaho. First i would like to say you both have beatiful country i rode thru both when i was a kid in 1976. I didnt know the feeling was that bad for non - residents. I live in Md. and mainly hunt Pa. which im only 1 mile away from and own some small acreage. I understand about hunting spots friends are friends until hunting season, i lost a long time friendship this year over a trophy deer i killed on my own property. I wanted to come out to one of the w. states such as yours or col. but have not made the right contact yet. The resaon is you have elk and muld deer we don't here in Md. What would you guys reccomnend for a guy like me to do for a hunting trip like this that i wouldn't have a non resident guide , etc. I really don't feel your down on all non residents but you ran in to some *** holes and especially the jackass who made a post here on a reckless act.
Mike

Call Each states fish and game bioligists and ask for some info on where the herds are generally seen. Buy some topo maps and look at all drainages that include water. It really isn't that hard to understand where elk are in my state. Getting there is a different story.

Call Each states fish and game bioligists and ask for some info on where the herds are generally seen. Buy some topo maps and look at all drainages that include water. It really isn't that hard to understand where elk are in my state. Getting there is a different story.
Thanks for your advise.
mike

There is always going to be some tension when hunters overlap, even if it is federal land (which is what I was hunting) that all technically have the right to hunt. As my local contact told me, the areas he was taking me to hunt were the same areas he'd have to hunt himself if he hadn't filled his tag during archery. We chose to avoid this by hunting a week or so into the season; all of the other out-of-staters were gone already, and most of the locals who set up camps with horses were done too.

All we encountered were a handful of locals with horses each day at the trail head. I think we got some respect for being friendly, asking where they were headed to make sure we were not going to interfere with each other...and the fact that we were humping in on foot further than they were going in with horses. The on-foot part seemed to take care of the lazy slob perception right there! I must admit there appeared to be some subliminal tension when we mentioned we were from back east though. Given some of the things that are encountered I can understand there being a bit of effort needed to "earn" a fuller acceptance. Helping a local I didn't even know tag a 160-class whitetail helped with that too.

I don't expect locals to care that I spend almost $700 for my tag or the other expenses. That's just part of the deal. On a high level, I think it is important to recognize the money this generates for the state's economy, but it's not worth it if the hunter thereby licensed to come in is a slob or an idiot. It does not buy any right to be "special" or above any standards. I grew up in a tourist area and while the money this generated was VITAL to our local economy, there was always a tension created by having the out-of-towners around so I understand this concept well. Especially if the out-of-towners felt they were special because they were spending money there. I'm not rich by any means, but I was very generous covering the important expenses (BEER) for the locals that helped me out, and when some locals offered to pack my meat out on their horses for me I paid MORE than they asked for. But the most important part is to be considerate, understand that at some level you are a guest there.

It's a shame that at least 3 members who reside in Montana would have such ill feelings towards non-residents, seemingly lumping them all into one catagory. This offends me, and probably a good number of members here, who travel to the western states every year. I understand their frustration, I use to hunt the renowned Buffalo county, but leases and trophy bucks have made free access out of the question, partly due to outfitters and non-res hunters. Would I describe those hunters as Nonya has? No, the fact that money moves the world is no suprise here.

I've hunted out west since 98, I have never had the pleasure of hunting Montana, but have hunted in both WY and CO. I typically only hunt public land, unless I am invited elswhere. Every year I load up my 10 year old truck with 15 year old camping gear and 5 year old hunting clothes. I may only stay in a hotel twice once on the way out and once back. Tags are expensive and those funds greatly help the states game departments. Why do I do It? Because it is a vacation, I love the west and enjoy the times shared with friends and familly on the mountain. Do I think I'm going to kill an animal every year, of course not. In fact of the 13 out of state tags I've bought I have harvested only 5 animals.

I would love to hunt Montana, but would hate to arive there and be pigeon holded into a cookie cutter image of a slob out of stater. If gamedog, Nonya, and I were to meet under normal conditions, I'm sure we would get along well and have interesting conversations and may-be grab some beers. But from the attitudes shown on this particular topic, I'm sorry to say if I came to Montana hunting, I would rather not meet them in the field.

Everyone has stories to tell about;tresspassers, poor shooters, 4 wheelers, ignorant landowners, being kicked off public lands, someone claiming your animal, ect. It happens in every state. Res. and non-res alike. Don't let that stop anyone from hunting in any state they choose, you may just miss out on an opportunity to meet some very nice people, and have a great hunt.

It's a shame that at least 3 members who reside in Montana would have such ill feelings towards non-residents, seemingly lumping them all into one catagory. This offends me, and probably a good number of members here, who travel to the western states every year. I understand their frustration, I use to hunt the renowned Buffalo county, but leases and trophy bucks have made free access out of the question, partly due to outfitters and non-res hunters. Would I describe those hunters as Nonya has? No, the fact that money moves the world is no suprise here.

I've hunted out west since 98, I have never had the pleasure of hunting Montana, but have hunted in both WY and CO. I typically only hunt public land, unless I am invited elswhere. Every year I load up my 10 year old truck with 15 year old camping gear and 5 year old hunting clothes. I may only stay in a hotel twice once on the way out and once back. Tags are expensive and those funds greatly help the states game departments. Why do I do It? Because it is a vacation, I love the west and enjoy the times shared with friends and familly on the mountain. Do I think I'm going to kill an animal every year, of course not. In fact of the 13 out of state tags I've bought I have harvested only 5 animals.

I would love to hunt Montana, but would hate to arive there and be pigeon holded into a cookie cutter image of a slob out of stater. If gamedog, Nonya, and I were to meet under normal conditions, I'm sure we would get along well and have interesting conversations and may-be grab some beers. But from the attitudes shown on this particular topic, I'm sorry to say if I came to Montana hunting, I would rather not meet them in the field.

Everyone has stories to tell about;tresspassers, poor shooters, 4 wheelers, ignorant landowners, being kicked off public lands, someone claiming your animal, ect. It happens in every state. Res. and non-res alike. Don't let that stop anyone from hunting in any state they choose, you may just miss out on an opportunity to meet some very nice people, and have a great hunt.

Well said.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.