Montana actions/barrels

G

Anybody have any experience with Montana actions or barrels? Found this site after I found Montana. Just built a .264 Win Mag, but haven't punched any paper yet. I appreciate any feedback.. Thanks!

The Montans actions are absolute turds. I built a couple of rifle on them to see if they were any good- a 300 WSM and a 308. Neither action functions properly and they shoot so-so. Cheap Winchester copies. I would buy a Winchester if that's the style of action you want.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me. After a lot of work, I have the action working the way I want it, but I don't think it is anywhere near worth the price they charge for them. Thinking about trying a CZ on the next one. Thanks!

I got a Montana M1999 SS SA mag last spring on the $350 prototype program. After sending the first one back due to maching damage I got one that has all the surfaces as cast. This means that surfaces like the cocking cam on the bolt has a cast surface.

I requires great force to operate the action. I have it all greased up and have done 1.5 hours of stoning on it.

This design has many of the best features of the M 70 and the Mauser. My problem is that I am satisfied with tweaking a factory rifle that would cost me under a grand. This action is going to take at least another three hundred dollars of work to get it to function like any other gun you have.

What I am saying is that if I were not so cheap I might end up with a little better action than one could buy.

I am not sure what to do with it. I am going to talk to my gunsmith again about it. I am tired of working on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.