monster xlr8 set up

If you actually own a XLR8 you probably already realize that the 360+ IBO rating is if the bow is completely bare with no sights, quiver, stabilizer and peep. Also that is a 29" draw length with 70 lb limbs set to 70 lbs.

My set up is as follows after Bow Force Mapping and shot threw the Hooter Shooter which is giving me 336 FPS.

28" draw length with 70 lb limbs set to 63 lbs.

QAD drop away rest

Carbon Express 250 arrows with 100 grain G5 Tekens.

D-loop, kisser button, peep.

6" Axiom Fuse stabilizer.

G5 Optix 2 sights.

These sights utilize only 2 pins, one is stationary for yardage out to 30 yards and the other is on a dial that can be dialed from 35 yrds out to 85 yrds. This is why I had it bow forced mapped. 50 yard shots with this bow is like a 30 yard shot with something that shoots under 300 fps. I also use a competition Scott Rhino release. I had asked the very same question to my bow guy at the shop that your asking here and this is what he came up with.

Did I mention he competes for Hoyt!

Love my Monster :D

WRG

Last edited:
Your arrow choice and broadhead choice should be consistent with the animals you hunt and the range at which you shoot. Much like long range rifle shooting, extra weight provides benefits. At distances beyond 100 yards, a 10 grain per inch shaft with 125 grain points will have a little more drop but the penetration into hay bales is very noticeably better than with lighter arrows and points.

Bob, no doubt you make an excellant point and back in the day used to think along those lines as well. Let me just give you an example of what this arrow combo has done for me so far with this bow. Now I am typically not one to bragg but this past winter on a spot and stalk hunt at Wild Hill Preserves in Farely Vermont, I was able to take down a 328 lb wild Russian bore which are a 98% pure strain from Russia, at a distance of 35 yards with a complete pass through just behind the shoulder plate. He ran about 40 yards then hit the ground and flopped and kicked a bit. I'd say it took him at the most 10 minutes to expire. They are one tough critter but that Teken is a super strong broad head. Before that in my home State last season, I also took a 173 lb "dress weight" main bean eight pointer, from a 21' ladder stand at 38 yards which knock him to the dirt after taking the arrow. Again another complete pass through because of the well placed shot just behind the shoulder that did in fact sever the back part of the heart. Reason for the good shot placement is because I have bow hunted for well over 25 years and you can usually find me taking part in as many local 3D shoots as I can. So I prefer the speed & accuracy that the lighter setup offers but again I do agree the heavier arrow and broad head combo would provide deeper penatration and would make the differance on a bad shot placement.

Not that it matters much to anyone other than me but this set-up was put together by one of the leading bow shops here in the North East that I have been dealing with for many years. This set-up fits the bow like a glove and I have no complaints.

WRG

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts