Moly bullets..barrel cleaning..

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Freebore, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

I've just started shooting moly coated bullets in my 7RM 162 A-Max's and they shoot extremely well. After how many firings do you clean the barrel? I have heard different opinions. Looking for more info. Thanks for your thoughts.

2. harfman99

harfman99 Well-Known Member

normal cleaning schedule

Some barrel manufacturers that will tell you that the gains of using moly over non is not substantial or say will do more harm than good. Myself have been a believer in moly also but try to keep a normal and frequent cleaning schedule to keep buildup down.

chris

3. britz

britz Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert on moly, I used to shoot it, but will never again because I wasn't cleaning properly and damaged a barrel (rust).

I have heard and been told that you should clean half as often as you would for non moly bullets. about every 50 or so rounds for moly bullets.

4. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

I shot molly bullets in my 40X in 223. I went 300 rounds w/o loss of accuracy. I cleaned it because I couldn't stand it any longer.

5. Freebore

Freebore Well-Known Member

Between range trips...

Since cleaning the barrel after every trip to the range is not necessary then is oiling the bore or any other type of coating required as in using Lock-Eze prior to putting back in safe?
    I'm one for cleaning normally after about every 20/25 rounds. I guess we will see if a box of 100 will have any adverse effect on barrel accuracy. It is a Browning SS Stalker.

6. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

Most people that I know using molly, use a mix of Shooter's Choice and Kroil and just patch to clean their bbls.