Moly bullets..barrel cleaning..

Freebore

I've just started shooting moly coated bullets in my 7RM 162 A-Max's and they shoot extremely well. After how many firings do you clean the barrel? I have heard different opinions. Looking for more info. Thanks for your thoughts.

normal cleaning schedule

Some barrel manufacturers that will tell you that the gains of using moly over non is not substantial or say will do more harm than good. Myself have been a believer in moly also but try to keep a normal and frequent cleaning schedule to keep buildup down.

chris

I'm not an expert on moly, I used to shoot it, but will never again because I wasn't cleaning properly and damaged a barrel (rust).

I have heard and been told that you should clean half as often as you would for non moly bullets. about every 50 or so rounds for moly bullets.

Between range trips...

Since cleaning the barrel after every trip to the range is not necessary then is oiling the bore or any other type of coating required as in using Lock-Eze prior to putting back in safe?
I'm one for cleaning normally after about every 20/25 rounds. I guess we will see if a box of 100 will have any adverse effect on barrel accuracy. It is a Browning SS Stalker.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.