Modifing The Feed Ramp For VLD's

trucraft

A while back i modified my AI mag for my SAUM by removing the front plate. Up until yesterday i had been load by hand. I wantrd to do a seating depth test starting .005 of the lands. I then realized the tips of my bullets were catching the underside of the feed ramp on my action when I clipped the mag in.
I after I had calmed down from frustration. I tried calling my smith but could get through so decided to have a go myself.

I lined up the mag and marked the ramp with a pen. Then used a new chainsaw file through the mag well while running a vacuum nosel in the ejection port to catch the filings.
I finish with 800grit wet n dry.
25min job done!
IMG_20140521_151841521_zps26m7dzqu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
(Edit, not sure if the photo will work as it off my phone)
Ironically the best seating depth turned out to be .080 off the lands, which would have fed fine in the first place.:D

A while back i modified my AI mag for my SAUM by removing the front plate. Up until yesterday i had been load by hand. I wantrd to do a seating depth test starting .005 of the lands. I then realized the tips of my bullets were catching the underside of the feed ramp on my action when I clipped the mag in.
I after I had calmed down from frustration. I tried calling my smith but could get through so decided to have a go myself.

I lined up the mag and marked the ramp with a pen. Then used a new chainsaw file through the mag well while running a vacuum nosel in the ejection port to catch the filings.
I finish with 800grit wet n dry.
25min job done!
IMG_20140521_151841521_zps26m7dzqu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

(Edit, not sure if the photo will work as it off my phone)
Ironically the best seating depth turned out to be .080 off the lands, which would have fed fine in the first place.:D

Looks nice, i had a similar issue with my Sako M-995. Except it wouldnt even load a SP! the feed ramp was much higher than the mag and needed to be profiled and polished. A little work with the dremel and some flitz to polish it up and it turned out fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.