Modified case

Carfused

New to the website and poking around. I purchased a Savage LRH in 300 win mag with a 4*16 Vortex Viper PST scope. Now regretting not going with the 7mm, 300 win mag stuff is imposible to find. So here I am looking for a modified case for the 300 win mag to ensure proper loads. If anyone has one I can purchase or borrow (I will pay for shipping back and forth)?

New to the website and poking around. I purchased a Savage LRH in 300 win mag with a 4*16 Vortex Viper PST scope. Now regretting not going with the 7mm, 300 win mag stuff is imposible to find. So here I am looking for a modified case for the 300 win mag to ensure proper loads. If anyone has one I can purchase or borrow (I will pay for shipping back and forth)?

I picked up a couple at a gander Mountain close out sale, but traded them away a couple months ago! Make your out modified case. The 5/16-27 tap can be bought, and a .312" reamer will get you by. But a .001" undersized reamer would be far better. These are not hard to find as well.

Take a once fired case (unsized) and see if the bullet will slide into it freely. If not the .311" reamer will work. The threaded hole is another, but not that hard to take care of. You could single point the thread if you have a lathe and are good at grinding high speed tool bits
gary

5/16x36 is correct tap size, and I use 9/32" drill (.2854 is correct, but 9/32 works well) buy the tap/drill and then you can make cases for all your reloading cals.
or send me 2 fired cases and I will make them for you.

5/16x36 is correct tap size, and I use 9/32" drill (.2854 is correct, but 9/32 works well) buy the tap/drill and then you can make cases for all your reloading cals.

when did they change the thread size? I have several stoney points, and every one of them has a 5/16-27 thread. Hornady bought out stoney point years back.
gary

I have a Stoney Point and it is 5/16-36 as well.
I bought a tap from MSC several years ago and it has served me well. Seems a little pricey but it does not take long to pay for itself.

Hand Taps | MSCDirect.com

you are correct, and I stand corrected. I checked the tool the other night. Where I got the 5/16-27TPI in my head I don't know. Still the extra fine thread for a .312" diameter is 32tpi, so that doesn't make much sense as well. They should have made it M8-32tpi, which is the standard Timken bearing nut thread. 8mm is .315" diameter, and 32 threads per inch is standard. Next one finer is 40tpi, and that's used on the 5/16" diameter. 36 TPI just doesn't make much sense at all, and it just slightly short of the standard 1.0 metric thread. surprised that somebody like Redding hasn't jumped on this one.
gary

Is this offer open to anyone???
I've been waiting for months for 2 modified cases

I picked up a couple at a gander Mountain close out sale, but traded them away a couple months ago! Make your out modified case. The 5/16-27 tap can be bought, and a .312" reamer will get you by. But a .001" undersized reamer would be far better. These are not hard to find as well.

Take a once fired case (unsized) and see if the bullet will slide into it freely. If not the .311" reamer will work. The threaded hole is another, but not that hard to take care of. You could single point the thread if you have a lathe and are good at grinding high speed tool bits
gary

I think the 5/16-27 is the thread used on shotgun cleaning brushes/patches etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.