Modern-day counterpart to WC872?

JKO

In his article in the September, 1991 issue of GUNS & AMMO ("Hits at a Half-Mile--And Beyond"), Ross Seyfried said that his .30 Cody Express (which he called a ".30-416 Rigby Ackley Improved") preferred WC872 powder.

I understand that that powder has been out of production for several years, and I was wondering:

Is there a modern equivalent--hopefully, one that is still available?

Thanks.--
JKO

Boat left the dock three weeks ago.
Pogey run

New production WC872 is still available. I believe all of the military services have standardized on the Vulcan 20mm. I don't keep good track of that kind of stuff but got to killing time reading about a guy who built a 20 mm rifle.

buffalobob:

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The aforementioned magazine article claimed that it was "unavailable", which I took to mean that (a) it was no longer made, or that (b) it was no longer being sold on the civilian market.

--JKO

JKO,

Go to gibrass.com

Just ordered 32 more lbs of the stuff for $40 per 8 lbs.

Very similiar to the old H-870. some lots a bit quicker, some a bit slower. Compared to the new H-US869, 872 is significantly slower burning.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
abinok:

My thanks to you, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--JKO

[/ QUOTE ]

Buffalobob provided the link to the other thread, but heres the direct link:
http://www.iidbs.com/hitech.zkb
$36 for 8lbs. The differance in price will almost pay for the hazmat shipping fees compared to the others if you buy all you can ship on a hazmat, 32lbs. Plus Dan is a great guy to boot. When I was in town, he offered to bring it to his house from the wharehouse, to save me the extra drive time.
Have you tried this powder before? Ive got a sneaky but totally legal way to get you some if you haven't... enough for some testing at least.

abinok:

No, I haven't.

I've been using Hodgdon H870, because that was what the rifle's original owner used; I received quite a bit of loaded ammunition when I purchased it, as well as brass and bullets, and loading data was included.

--JKO

JKO,
I could send you some for testing for the cost of shipping... no hazmat involved if you like. Email if youre interested and ill give you the details.

Link works for me... did you try crossing your fingers and wiggeling your nose when you clicked the link?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.