MODERATOR OR SUPPRESSOR

col48

can any one tell me what kind you use,make model,
web site.
as we over the pond use them,but we have good and bad ones.

and i am looking for a new one.

so can anyone help.
thanks in advance

so c

I own Several. Most are Gem-tech brand. I've personally shot many brands and have found that you generally get what you pay for. The best on the market are the Surefire models, they are ultra expensive but hold unbelieveable tolerances. I've been told by a LE agent that Brugger & Thomet are starting to import here in the states to LE only agencies. Here is how I would rate the ones I've used:
Surefire
Knights
AAC- bad customer service!
Gemtech- Best value for the money
AWC
The rest...

The surefire stuff is very new and hard to get, as well as being 4 times the price of AAC and GemTech. Knights is very well made and show great durability, but they don't seem to be as quiet. I recommend Gem-Tech to everyone I know. They offer no specific warranty, but if it broke because of their fault, they'll fix it! Great people to talk to! I will NEVER buy another Advanced armament product. Their customer service is horrid. Last time I talked to them I had to give the guy the product number to even get him to admit that they actually made the thing, let alone to find out where my month old order was. Check my Sig for links to gemtech and aac. Let me know the round you want to suppress, I can tell you more about what you might need.

Well I have a couple AAC (Advanced Armament CO.) can's and have been really happy with them. Their quality is outstanding! AAC home page

I had a problem, and they were really great as far as customer service goes, so much so that instead of buying the gemtech that I was going to buy I went back and bought another AAC..They were super helpfull there..

Have heard nothing but great things about Gemtech also. I've heard a lot of different brands of suppressors, and I don't think that the Surefire brands would be hardly any quieter than the other major manufacture's. I don't think a person could justify the extra money, but I could be wrong..

Meister does have more experience than me in this dept, so his comments on surefire carries a little more weight than mine.

There are a lot of differant makers of cans out there, just stick with the big names and you'll be fine.

AAC
AWC
Ops,Inc
SRT
Gemtech
SWR.....shot their Thundertrap on a .22 mag this morning..impressive, but heavy.

etc............
hope that helps a little

I don't mean to change the subject, but what are the laws here in the US about owning a suppressor? I know that its legal for a civilian to own one, I was just wondering how much hassle it is.

Justin

I was shooting one afternoon at Black Creek, just south of Boise. Another shooter had an brand spanking new 8MM Rem Mag from Rem's custom shop with a big clunky looking thing hung on the end of it.

I had to take a gander at that thing. He was shooting bug holes at 100 yds and making no noise. I removed my ear protection and carried on a normal conversation no more than 3 feet behind him. I was impressed in a major way, both by the veeerrrryyy small group size and the lack of sound.

It was a Gemtek. Took 7 months to get, due to paper work. Something like, if I remember correctly, $200 for a permit of some kind plus the cost of the suppresser.

In Idaho, I guess all you have to do is ask, then get the paper work going.

[ QUOTE ]
I own Several. Most are Gem-tech brand. I've personally shot many brands and have found that you generally get what you pay for. The best on the market are the Surefire models, they are ultra expensive but hold unbelieveable tolerances. I've been told by a LE agent that Brugger & Thomet are starting to import here in the states to LE only agencies. Here is how I would rate the ones I've used:
Surefire
Knights
AAC- bad customer service!
Gemtech- Best value for the money
AWC
The rest...

The surefire stuff is very new and hard to get, as well as being 4 times the price of AAC and GemTech. Knights is very well made and show great durability, but they don't seem to be as quiet. I recommend Gem-Tech to everyone I know. They offer no specific warranty, but if it broke because of their fault, they'll fix it! Great people to talk to! I will NEVER buy another Advanced armament product. Their customer service is horrid. Last time I talked to them I had to give the guy the product number to even get him to admit that they actually made the thing, let alone to find out where my month old order was. Check my Sig for links to gemtech and aac. Let me know the round you want to suppress, I can tell you more about what you might need.

[/ QUOTE ]

HI
i shoot a 243ai and a 270 wsm both custom nesika full hit.
i like the type that go down the barrel,instead of just straight out the front.
i live in the UK as well so if there is ever anything over hear you lot need just ask.

when they do the integral suppressors they usually port the barrel so the bullets shoot subsonic. I don't reall know if you would want an integral one on the calibers mentioned..

I may be wrong, and I'm sure you could find someone to do that for you, but I'm just saying I wouldn't build a caliber like that with a can like you mentioned.

col,

I would have thought that, practically speaking, you'll be limited to what's easily available in UK.

I use a reflex T8 on my 308. It's not my 'ideal' -rustable thin mild steel, unstrippable etc, but it is light.....you have to see it as a consumable....they are relatively 'short lifed' by the factory ...a fact Jackson doesn't exactly highlight in his sales blurb!

.....it also gets very hot very fast....5 quick rounds will give you bad mirage over the moderator, 10 quick rounds will make it hot enough to give you a burn.

The other options..wildcat etc whilst built to last, are far too heavy. Despite its unstrippability, I would be tempted by the jet-z CQB if I were buying today.

..ps where did you get your Nesikas done?

[ QUOTE ]
col,

I would have thought that, practically speaking, you'll be limited to what's easily available in UK.

I use a reflex T8 on my 308. It's not my 'ideal' -rustable thin mild steel, unstrippable etc, but it is light.....you have to see it as a consumable....they are relatively 'short lifed' by the factory ...a fact Jackson doesn't exactly highlight in his sales blurb!

.....it also gets very hot very fast....5 quick rounds will give you bad mirage over the moderator, 10 quick rounds will make it hot enough to give you a burn.

The other options..wildcat etc whilst built to last, are far too heavy. Despite its unstrippability, I would be tempted by the jet-z CQB if I were buying today.

..ps where did you get your Nesikas done?

[/ QUOTE ]

first let me just say i want the kind of moderator that screws on the end of the barrel,then the baffles are in front,and then the rest of the mod comes back toward the stock.(i do not want any thing porting in my barrel.)
this is a 2 point mounting system.

i had my rifles direct from nesika,and dealt with Richard spurrel,and Steve Giordano,(spelling might be wrong)

i have had a t8 & t4 they are quiet but are crap.
(do you know how much they are to buy from the factory,£40
if you can get some one to send you one,i think they are from Finland.)
this is about right as like you said they should be throw away.

i have had the PES not that well made IMHO.
i had one fail.BUT THEY REPLACED IT STRAIGHT AWAY.
AND CHANGED THE DESIGN.

at the moment i am looking at the atec.
they don't seem bad at all but cost £260

how much are the ones that where mentioned in the above posts

THIS IS THE ATEC
AVAILABLE FROM PETE LINCOLN.

S3500789.jpg

S3500790.jpg

S3500791.jpg

S3500792.jpg

Here are my toys....
site1003.JPG

This is your brain on Cans! Any questions? HAHAHA!

I'm not sure who makes a can for the 243/270. I'm sure awc or another maker does. I have no experience with the round being suppressed. Most people here prefer the military calibers to suppress. Integral cans can be vented near the muzzle as well to make them supersonic and fairly quiet, it's a tough balance.

The surefire cans aren't that much quieter, you have to fire them side by side with another can to determine that. My TPR-S is louder than the new HVT but not enough to tell unless fired side by side. The biggest reason for the surefire being superior is the durability and negligable POI shift. Higher tolerances and better metals exact a bigger price.

meister....great collection!! i am getting a whisper soon in a bolt gun, and would love the 9mm upper for my AR. Those are great setups. Did you have problems with your Pilot? and how do you like the 9mm upper?

not exactly sure what you mean by "coming back down the barrel"
They just thread straight on the end of the barrel, and DON'T have a bunch of extra metal that slides over the barrel before it attaches.

Price varies from about $350, to around $850, and this is without the $200 tax stamp.

There are a ton of class 3 dealers, so most people just pick one near their home and deal with that guy. The prices are pretty much fixed for suppressors, so it's not like you can shop from one guy that has rock bottom prices. Dealer choice is pretty much personal preferance.

hope that helps a little. I think you were from a diff country, so I have no idea how that all works as far as ordering, taxes, etc...

My apologies, I wasn't very clear in my integral suppressor explanation. The barrel is ported about 2 inches from the crown, the gasses vent into a chamber surrounding the barrel. Some manufacturers put additional vents past the barrel to capture escaping gas past the barrel crown. Most new manufacturers do it the way you saw it, but some old timer still use a sheath around the barrel as an extra large chamber.

My pilot has functioned flawlessly. It was a threaded barrel and a MP5 aimpoint mount I couldn't get from them very easily.

I haven't fired the talon yet. Waiting on parts from rock river to get my lower set up for 9mm.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.