model seven .260 rem, anyone?

loaders_loft

I also posted this in the rifle section, but wanted to spread it around a bit.

Anyone shooting a remington model 7 chambered in .260rem? I would like to know what kind of velocities you are getting with various bullet weights?

Thanks,

L_L

The fact that it's a Model 7 shouldn't be a big factor except as pertains to barrel length.

As such, there are lots of posts about 260 Rem loads and velocities.

You might want to search for some of those and also mention your barrel length here.

-- richard

I have owned a Model 7 in 260 Rem for over 10 years. It came with a 20 inch very thin barrel and I never could get it to shoot as well as I expected it to, so I replaced the factory barrel with a Hart 22 inch one. Here are some of the velocities that I have gotten with both barrels.

Factory 20 inch.

129 Hornady SP 2724ft/sec average
120 Barnes TSX 2778 ft/sec average

Hart 22 inch

120 Barnes TTSX 2952 ft/sec average
120 Nosler BT 2957 ft/sec average
130 Nosler Accubond 2922 ft/sec

All loads were shot over a CED Chronograph.

No! They are not the same loads. The only load that I shot in both barrels is the 129 Hornady SP.. With 43.7 grains of H4350 in RP cases, and WLR primers the 20 inch barrel produced 2724 ft/sec and the 22 inch Hart barrel did over 200 ft/sec more. I know that it is hard to believe but that is what my CED chronograph showed. I did not include this load because the difference is so great that even I find it hard to believe. 2724 ft/sec(20 Inch) and 2989 ft/sec (22 inch). I think it is more that the 2 inch difference. The Hart barrel is hand lapped and is just a faster barrel that the factory one.

Last edited:
I have to agree with shortmagman....It most likely is not the 2" difference...As a rule you usually get more velocity from a longer barrel...But the difference is not linear...On the other hand...I have a .260 with a 26" Shilen (varmint wt.) and a .260 with a Shaw 24" (sporter)....Both shoot well with similar loads but the shorter one is always just a few fps more under the same conditions and same load lot.....For example my pet load for my .260s is 130 VLDs pushed by IMR4350....The Shaw produces 2914 fps with while the longer Shilen comes in at 2904 with the same load at the same time...15 thou off the lands in the Shilen and .018 in the Shaw....
Any load or powder I throw at them have similar results when the same load is used in both rifles....The Shaw kicks out SDs of around 6 or 7 while the Shilen runs anywhere from 8 to ten based on ten shot strings....The Shilen however usually groups a little better at 100 yards but probably because it is heavier and my poor bag manners show up more with the light barreled Shaw....The Shilen usually shoots in the .3s and .4s in 5 shot groups but the Shaw struggles to stay under .65 but has been down to .25 a few times in three shot runs....

Every rifle barrel seems to have a science of its own....Chambering, bore/land configuration, condition of the bore and a host of contributing factors have a part in what speed and behavior a rifle will shoot.....

Randy

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.