Model 700 XCR Long Range Tactical Rifle

Greetings, I own three XCR Tacticals, two 308's and one 300wm. The 300wm is a XCR LRT 26", I have a B&C A-5 stock with a Leupold Mark 4 6.5x20 on mark 4 rings and 20moa bases. I cleaned the barrel after every shot for the first 20 rounds and hand lapped it as well. (There were chatter marks in the rifling from the factory in all three guns!) I'm loading 180 gr. Noslers at 3100fps and five of them will go in one hole at 100yds, it is the only load I have ever shot through this gun and see no need to shoot anything else. One 308 is a XCR LRT 26" this one sits in a AI 1.5 stock with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14 on mark 4 rings and 20moa bases. This gun shoots anybodys 168gr bullets into one ragged hole at 100yds. The last 308 is a XCR Compact with a 20 in barrel, I just purchased this rifle in December. The compact has a HS Percision stock and all have 40X triggers. When I dissasembled the compact I noticed the recoild lug was not even close to square with the action. Also the chatter marks in the rifling were worse than the other two rifles. After a trip to the gunsmith the recoil lug is straight and the lapping process has begun. Some of my observations: all three of my XCR's had chatter marks in the barrels but once cleaned up they seem to shoot well and don't copper foul. The stock's they come with are too low for 50mm scopes without a raised comb of one type or another. As far as stocks go B&C stocks are as good or better than HS Percision stocks. The finish (paint) seems to stay on longer and be more durable. Also if you compare the bedding blocks the B&C is beefier(but weighs more). Both my 300 and my 308 XCR LRT's are heavy with the adjustable stocks 14 and 15 lbs. The 308 compact is an attempt to create a tack driving hunting rifle and keep it under 10 lbs. I to have had the Sendero's, the CDL SF's and some of the other 700's. The clean fluting (no external Chatter marks) black matt finish (on stainless)and smoothness of the action's of the XCR Tacticals drew me back to Remington, they take some work (unfortunately for the price you pay)gun) But when your finished you'll end up with "an interesting rifle".

The Sendero is not a better rifle!!! The finish on the Sendro is rough and looks like low quality metal, and it does not have the 40X trigger, to say the least.

I own a .308 in the XCR Tactical. It shoots under 1/2" at 100 yards, out of the freaking box with 168 A-max and 168 Berger. Show me a Sendero can do better for the money.

I shot my first buck this year, one shot, using 168 A-max at 340 yards, DOTS. Can a Sendero do any better?

For the money, you can't better the XCR Tactical.

100 yards isnt a real impressive range for a .5 MOA group. My sendero will do it out to 400. 40x trigger? who cares. They all need to be replaced if you want a true "shooter" Tap the forarm of the stock. Its mushy. The HS is far stiffer. My money and confidence remain with the sendero. I

I have a 700 xcr compact tactical with a Bushnel 6500 4.5 X 30 Tactical I have put over 800 reloads thru it in the last year and with 155 A-Max and Varget powder it will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 200 yds.I did replace the trigger with a Timney.I would not hesitate to buy the 300 Win mag version as my gun is excellent.

Resurrecting a post started in 2007.

I didn't see the Original Posters question answered as to weather he could send off his TriNyte coated XCR rifle to be accurized without destroying the TriNyte? Are the lugs and inside of the action coated, or just the outside and barrel?

1. Has anyone had their XCR – TriNyte coated rifle accurized? Any issues?
2. What is the groups opinion as to the pros and cons of the Rem 700 XCR 300
WinMag Long Range Rifle for a back country Northern MT, Canada, Elk gun? I have heard great things about the shorter/lighter Rem 700 XCR II in 300 WinMag for week long wet and cold back country elk hunts. I'm wondering if the long range is up to the task.

As far as I can tell the Long Range is 8.5 lbs, 45 ¾" long with a free floated B&C stock and sells for about $1,200. The XCR II is 7.4 lbs, 44 ½ " long with a synthetic Hogue stock and sells for about $1,000. I will be putting a Thunder Beast suppressor on whatever platform I finally decide on. Any actual in the field off the bench advice would be greatly appreciated.

With regards to your question. I had to have my gun(XCR LRT 300WM) rechambered because it was short chambered from Remington and a factory case wouldn't chamber without force. I also had the barrel threaded for a suppressor mount and nither end of the barrel shows any sign of the finish failing. The lugs of the bolt has a finish but it's not the same as the barrel or action. As far as an accuracy or truing of the action job....When you can put 5 rounds thru the same hole at 100 yards with a 300 WM there's little need for spending more money. Sure if it doesn't shoot spend the money, but if it ain't broke don't fix it! Here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

• 2010, 300 Win Mag.jpg
    2010, 300 Win Mag.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 54
I just sent back an XCR in 270 wsm because it was short chambered. Remington would not rechamber it because of the finish. They gave me 2 options 1-refund money, 2- send me a 300WSM in the XCRII model. After I spoke with them on the phone they ended up sending me a new CDL SS fluted in 270WSM. I'm happy with that.

Does that really make sense to you, Remington couldn't just screw another barrel on that rifle? The chamber area of my XCR guns appear stainless as does the inside of the barrel so it makes me wonder. I've had all four XCR Tacs. threaded for suppressor mounts with no issues with the finish. I did send my XCR Compact 223 back to Remington twice for bolt issues. First time they had it six weeks and replaced the bolt. Then the handle fell off the replacement bolt and I sent it back again, they had it eight weeks. Then when I finally got it back the bolt would close hard on an empty chamber. I took it to Bobby Hart and they had to open up the outer ring on the chamber it was ten thousandths of an inch under sized. So when I took my 300WM to hart to have it checked, they told me it was short chambered. He said I could send it back to Remington three times and they might get it right or he could take care of it for $60. After my experience with the 223 XCR I paid him and it shoots great. Remington has major problems with their quality control, you would expect more from one of their higher end guns!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.