Model 70 XTR for a custom build?

elmerdeer

Hi Guys i have a mod 70 XTR magnum action that I'm thinking of using it for my next custom build In 7rem mag. This Action has
cocking piece that has a cover or hood on it, not like the usual winchester 3pos cocking pieces. It is also a push feed action.
Now what do you guys think of using this action for a LRH gun?
And what do you think of that cover on the back of the cocking piece?

Thx
Elmer

I had my xtr customized into a longrange rig couple years back, I use it for backpack hunts actually.. lightened it up with an MPI fibergalss stock, of coarse bedded 'n all. Very accurate. Very reliable action to build around... especially with hunting in mind where it's going to be exposed to debris of different types thoughout outings. In my own opinion, go for it. Probably one of the best actions of all to have picked.

The cover on the cocking piece is a valuable safety feature. Weatherby Mark 5 has the best shroud. The Remington and Rugers don't have one at all and if anything blows or leaks in the chamber it directs it directly at your eye.

Winchesters are fine to build on.

I have had the primer blow back in my face on a Model 70 built in their first year, 1939. I was wearing glasses so I see OK but their were several pieces of hot metal melted into the lens. The glasses were junk so the shroud improved is appreciated.

I own several Model 70s both longspring Mauser extractor and push feed. As the Winchester engineers intended, it is easier to get a pushfeed to shoot. I like the longspring extractor for long magnum cartridges which are loaded to the max.

What cartridge do you have in mind? What is your magazine length?

I have had the primer blow back in my face on a Model 70 built in their first year, 1939. I was wearing glasses so I see OK but their were several pieces of hot metal melted into the lens. The glasses were junk so the shroud improved is appreciated.

I own several Model 70s both longspring Mauser extractor and push feed. As the Winchester engineers intended, it is easier to get a pushfeed to shoot. I like the longspring extractor for long magnum cartridges which are loaded to the max.

What cartridge do you have in mind? What is your magazine length?

The cartridge I am going to use is a 7mm rem mag throated for the 180 bergers and 168s,
the mag and bottom metal will be CDI so there will be enough room to seat them long.
What is the longspring extractor?
Thx
Elmer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.