Model 70 XTR .264 Win Mag Updated

1100 Remington Man

I have had this rifle for close to 30 yrs. I was thinking It needed a little up dateing Rifle is early 1980s Model 70 XTR, I have quite a few guns none for all weather & none with composite stock so thanks to HS Precision it does then I took it in for Cerokote color is Burnt Bronze Cost $ 145.00. I did all the work my self. I also have new Leupold Dual Dovetail Mounts & Low Rings with a Leupold 3.5x10.40mm CDS with CDS windage knob also & had parallax adjusted to 200 yds. Just a litle FYI it took me about 2 hours to tear down & 1 hour to reassemble & another hour to skim bed stock & Adjust Trigger. Well here she is some before & after pictures.

Attachments

• 264 1.jpg
    264 1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 264 7.jpg
    264 7.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 195
  • 264 9.jpg
    264 9.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 188
  • 264 46.jpg
    264 46.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 186
  • 264 48.jpg
    264 48.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 183
  • 264 18.jpg
    264 18.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 200
Beautiful rifle, makes me want to do my 243 XTR, cerekote the bases and rings, it will be nice conrast against the scope.
Very nice

Sharp lookin unit.. I just had my own 264 xtr re-done similarily. Was my very first rifle actually & I too wanted to do some updating. Went with an MPI stock on mine, flutes, pillar/glass bedding, brake and a flat-black powder coating over all the metal... the rifle (bone-stock) used to be miserable to shoot.. kicked like a rented mule, nose-heavy & cumbersome... since however, it's just turned into a dream for shooting! ...is a second long-range rig now, been ringin my plates as far as 750 so far - 264 is a wicked calibre if you can harness 'er properly... down the road will come a new barrel - be it Hart, Shilen, Lija or what-have-you.. but that's next

Long live the 264 ; )

Man that is a beautiful looking rifle. I've got an older Remington from the 70's that I've been wanting to do the same thing to. Your rifle had a custom look to it.

that burn bronze is sweet looking, you may have just made my mind up for me on the finish for my custom this winter.

Well just got in a little range time. Best was with Sierra 140gr BTSP Case W-W, H4831 62.0gr, Primer CCI 250 with COAL 3.209 10 thousands off lands. The scope with the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts & Low Rings only took 6MOA up & 2.75 Right Windage. I have never used these mounts before was woundering how close I would be. I need to work up some more loads but I think I'm on the right track. The group below was shot at 100 yds. Is Max Load in Sierra Manual.

Attachments

• H4831 62gr.jpg
    H4831 62gr.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
If you're interested, I recently finished-up a load for mine.. & like I mentioned in my first post, the rifle is very-similar to yours. 26" pipe on mine tho.. not sure if yours is the same that-way or not, but is still a factory-barrel none-the-less...

I am shooting Berger 140gr lead.. like yours (should be) mine is a 1:9 twist and does stabilize the 140s. I started seated pretty deep, at 64gr Retumbo and worked right up to 69 actually... including a few 1/2gr charges. Settled on 69 in the end.. bullets seated as long as the magazine will take (and still feed properly) - that said, my batteries died in the caliper and I can't list my COAL.. but is no more than a 1 or 2/1000th or so between the tips and the magazine box. Longest possible! Groups touch @ 100.. 3133avg vel... & has a single digit E-spread! Is outstanding. I was only able to reach that with a very long seated bullet.. consistency went out the window seating deeper (too much "jump" I presume)

Anyway.. I used Nosler Brass, fed215 match primers, retumbo and the hunting vld berger 140s.. took 58 rounds to settle on that, but it shoots amazing... if you're interested in trying that load - like I said, model 70 xtr very-much the same as yours. Use caution and work-up to it, but my bet would be it'll shoot similar in yours..

Goodluck

Well back at it. After having to glass bed the action because of stringing shots. What I found was after some shooting I took action out of stock & noticed only about 25% of recoil lug on action was meeting aluminum bedding block & skim bedding from HS Precision just fell out or was loose. After a glass bedding job with Acraglas Gel. Now it shoots .85 inch groups at 100 yds. Load development done now will reload some more shells & back to 300 yds to sight. Went back to Noslers 120 gr BT IMR 4350 60.6 Max in my rifle CCI 250 Primer Case W-W COAL. 3.26 Work up to max in your Rifle. I plan to change brass to Nosler see if it helps ? With this load only requires 4.25 MOA up & 1.5 MOA L Windage closer to optical center than when shooting 140 Sierra BTSP.

Well back at it. After having to glass bed the action because of stringing shots. What I found was after some shooting I took action out of stock & noticed only about 25% of recoil lug on action was meeting aluminum bedding block & skim bedding from HS Precision just fell out or was loose. After a glass bedding job with Acraglas Gel. Now it shoots .85 inch groups at 100 yds. Load development done now will reload some more shells & back to 300 yds to sight. Went back to Noslers 120 gr BT IMR 4350 60.6 Max in my rifle CCI 250 Primer Case W-W COAL. 3.26 Work up to max in your Rifle. I plan to change brass to Nosler see if it helps ? With this load only requires 4.25 MOA up & 1.5 MOA L Windage closer to optical center than when shooting 140 Sierra BTSP.
This seems to be more open than the group in the picture above. I'd go back and try that load now that you have done a good bedding job.

Also, there should be no windage adjustement at all unless you're dealing with quite a cross wind at this range.

Now if you're saying it required one to get properly zeroed after rebedding the rifle that would make sense but if you are getting a 1.5 MOA shift in windage without a very stout crosswind at 100yds something seems to be very wrong.

I took it all apart, and had it Cerakote at Krantz powder coating in WI he a certified applicator so it should be oven cured. When I talked about 1.5 off on windage that is from the scopes Optical center no wind when shot. I have not reset dials yet to zero since mounting, When I get it sighted in at 300 yds I will put on my new ballistic matched turret &. recenter windage turret ot zero for no wind. The reason I went with the Nosler 120 gr with IMR 4350 over the 140gr Sierra BTSP with H4831 is because it only was accurate at 62.0 gr any more or less powder it did not shoot I was afraid when hunting when cold I might be out of its sweet spot FPS, but you are right it might shoot better since Glass bedding. Just FYI my smallest group with Nosler 120 BT & IMR 4350 is .593 inch. but I shot 3 groups of .010 off lands was group sizes of .835 .798 .939 .030 Off lands 1.22 .707 1.2 & .060 Off lands .593 1.857 .985 . I also have good luck with Noslers 120grBT making my longest shot to date on Antelope at a little over 500 yds & had complete pass through.

Re: Model 70 XTR .264 Win Mag Updated last post

My last on this rifle. Well after spending $600 on Leupold scope $50 on mounts HS Precision stock $325 + Cerakote well before all this work Rifle was a 2.88 inch shooter at 300 yds well today it shoots 2.433 inch groups at 300 yds my load was with new Nosler Brass maybe it or Glass Bedding stock. I don't know if all this work was worth it it for .45 inches at 300 yds. I do think the weatherproofing was with Stock & Cerakote. Load is Nosler Brass CCI 250, IMR 4350 60.2gr, Nosler 120gr BT. MAX LOAD but safe in my rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 134
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.