model 70 stealth 22-250

roninflag

my friend is thinking of getting one for hunting coyotes. . how are the triggers? how does yours shoot? thanks roninflag

RoninFlag,

I don't own one, but a friend I shoot with has one in 223. He had to have some work done to make it shoot. He said the factory Savage 12BVSS and the factory Remington 700 VS (Varmint Synthetic) models are much more accurate than the factory Winchester Stealth. The trigger pull was very heavy.

As I mentioned, he had work done to it to make it more accurate. He didn't change any of the parts, accept for the trigger. He had the action accurized, the stock pillar bedded, the barrel refitted and re-crowned. I believe the trigger is a Jewel or Shilen. He loves the rifle now and it will shoot 1/2 groups at 100 yards. Before he had work done, the rifle was a 1" shooter at 100 yards.

If I were your friend, I would seriously look at the Savage Model rifles with the accu-trigger. Savage rifles, right now, are probably the most accurate factory rifle out there. If he can afford a bit more, he should seriously look at the Savage Long Range Precision Varminter(LRPV). I have shot the LRPV and it is a very accurate rifle, and the LRPV is a great looking rifle too. The LRPV, I shot, was a 22-250 and it loved the 50grn V-Max. I would highly recommend the Savage Long Range Precision Varminter.

Here the specs on the 22-250 Savage LRPV;

1. Caliber-22-250
2. Savage Short Action Single Shot, Right Bolt, Left Port
3. Savage SS 26", 1-12 Twist, 1" straight cylinder barrel (yes 1" at muzzle)
4. H-S Precision Varmint Stock
5. Accu-Trigger adjust from 1-1/2 pounds to 6 pounds.
6. Total Weight is 12 pounds
7. I saw one at my local gun store for a lttle over a $1000

Put a nice scope on this baby, and your ready for some long range varmint and coyote hunting.

No, I don't work for Savage. I just think for the price and the way this rifle shoots, it should be mentioned. Check out the specs on the Savage Web site.

W.

model 70 stealth

wildcat - thanks. i appreciate your reply. i have read about the savage lrpv: 2 .75" GROUPS AT 600 yards in one; in varmint hunter mag it won or placed in practically every class at their last match. my buddy is also considering putting a krieger 6.5-284 barrel on the 70 "stealth" . he does not have the rifle and we do not know the if the magazine could fit that long of cartridge for a repeater. called winchester they did not know. also he has to do this project over time . it sounds like besides a barrel he is going to need a trigger. i would think the stock and bedding would be equal to the " remington vs " with the aluminum bedding block ect. you are saying no?? i have several "700 vs" and "senderos "and those stocks and bedding i feel have been real good and they have all shot real good. thanks roninflag

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.