Model 70 info Please...

NorthernSniper

After reading an article in a rifle magazine I have become interested in the Winchester model 70 if anybody can contribute a little info I would appreciate it greatly. The magazine article made comparisons between the Winchester action and Mauser action is the Winchester action based on the Mauser action? The article described the Winchester action as a pretty slick sounding controled round feed action, are they really a good action or is this partly true and partly magazine hype? Anybody have any idea where the Model 70 is being manufactured? Are the new rifles shooters or just so so? thanks for any info! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

All modern bolt actions are based on the Mauser, except the Swiss K-31.
The M70 is a bit closer with the extractor claw (aka, "Controled round feeding").

They are excellent actions and there are millions of them around, plus Browning has bought the Winchester rights and will be manufacturing the action again this coming year (according to the press releases).

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info CatShooter, somebody must be producing the M70 because I can buy a dozen different models through mail order. This model looks interesting http://www.wholesalesports.com/onlinesto...gory=1011001002
It would be nice if they where u.S. made I have a lot more faith in U.S. metalurgy and craftsmanship as far as firearms manufacturing goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are US made.

Winchester shut its doors only a short while ago, so there are MANY (10s of thousands) of new ones on the shelves of dealers and wholesalers.

These ARE US made and fine rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.